Scottish bands you should know, but probably don’t

Not all good musicians come from Leeds and Brixton

Finding a decent band these days is like trying to find your new favourite beer – almost all of them will be alright but it’s unlikely you’ll find the one that tickles your fancy on your first pick.

Glasgow’s music scene is thriving. For those who are tired of jumping on the bandwagon for the next Catfish and the Bottlemen-esque mega band, here’s a collection of my favourite local bands.

Fatherson 

Perhaps the most famous of all my picks, Ayrshire three-piece Fatherson have been churning out powerful rock songs mixed with poetic heartbreak for almost half a decade now. The band have toured with likes of Enter Shikari and Biffy Clyro. This band is for anyone who appreciates great songwriting and doesn’t mind having a box of Kleenexes in hand when the waterworks start flowing.

The Xcerts

In a similar feel to Fatherson, this three-piece band have capitalized on their ability to create simple-yet-effective pop songs that have a bleak and emotional underpinning. In their most recent album “There is Only You,” (2014) lead singer Murray Mcleod takes listeners on an emotional roller-coaster about losing the love of your life. The band have toured relentlessly since its release and have had slots on many of Scotland’s best festivals including T in The Park and Electric Fields. If you like your guitars loud and your lyrics impassioned then this is another band to get drunk and sing along to.

Hector Bizerk

Hip-hop may not be the first thing you think of when you think of Scotland, but Glasgow rapper Louie and drummer Audrey Tait are hoping to change that perception. With Louie’s verses often focusing on political dissatisfaction, working-class life in Glasgow and difficulties with alcoholism, Hector Bizerk have the drive and passion to win over any crowd. With a hope to use music as a platform for social change, this band have a real “up yours” vibe to the higher establishment. If you enjoy leaping up and down to catchy rhythms and like your bars hard and fast, then this is the band to splash your dollar on.

Honeyblood

The only two members of this band are lead singer and guitarist Stina Tweeddale and drummer Cat Meyers. They’ve created significant local buzz since the release of their self-titled debut in 2013. Focusing on grungey guitar tunes with pop sensibilities this female two piece have created some of the most iconic songs that only some have had the pleasure of listening to. Songs like “Choker” which details the horrors of relationship abuse and control are contrasted with upbeat bangers like “Killer Bangs”. Such songs have allowed them to share the same stage as Foo Fighters at Murrayfield as well as Idlewild and Biffy Clyro at last years Hogmanay celebrations in Edinburgh. If you need a great summer driving album, this is the perfect band to bring in the good vibes.

Man of Moon

Unlike the previous artists, two-piece Man of Moon base themselves in Glasgow’s far less charming older brother Edinburgh. Such a fact hasn’t stopped guitarist/vocalist Chris Bainbridge and drummer Mikey Reid from providing a unique and atmospheric take on alternative rock. Since meeting at college the pair have been at the forefront of the Edinburgh scene, increasing their hype with each release. The pair continue their rise with slots at T in The Park and heavy support from Huw Stephens (Radio 1) and BBC Introducing.

Toy Mountains

Some bands only really properly shine either in a live space or on record, but rarely does a new band excel in both so confidently. This four-piece really know how to get a crowd going wild. Unlike many hard-rock bands, the boys mix quieter melodic moments with full aggression to create music that is both chaotic and tightly structured. Their latest single “I Could Care Less” was debuted on the Radio 1 rock show with Daniel P Carter upon release. If you like to leave gigs unscathed, this isn’t the band for you, but you’ll be missing out on one of Scotland’s most exciting guitar bands.

Megalomatic

My most unknown pick so far, but definitely worth a mention. This band is gradually coming into the forefront of the underground scene. With their tight and powerful live shows, the three-piece mix heavy, complex riffs with ambient textures to create a hard-rock experience like no other. If you want to check out these guys live, be prepared to lose a couple of decibels of hearing. But after witnessing such an incredible show, you probably won’t mind.

Lewis Capaldi

For my single solo artist pick, the choice was very simple. University of the West of Scotland student Lewis Capaldi has been wowing the country with his unique and breathtaking voice. Mixing simple-yet-dramatic guitar work with vocals that sound far beyond his years, Capaldi has begun on a clear path to stardom. With slots at Electric Fields festival and packed shows at The Garage Attic and King Tut’s, Capaldi is ready to showcase his talent to the wider world. With upcoming shows, including supporting Prides at the Oran Mor’s West End Festival, get ready to be wowed by this young singer-songwriter.

Donnie Willow

With comparisons to pre-Puzzle Biffy Clyro, Glasgow’s three-piece Donnie Willow are beginning to be recognized as the city’s most promising rock outfit. After taking part part in King Tut’s two-week festival “Summer Nights” the guys are moving higher and higher up people’s radars.  Combining catchy choruses with math-rock elements, lead singer and guitarist Arthur Piddington mixes harsh and clean vocals seamlessly. This creates an unpredictable and energetic listen, be it live or on tape.

Mickey 9s 

Listen to the track “Shark in the Water”. Enough said. You can thank me later…

What are you waiting for? Get off this article and listen to your soon-to-be favourite band. At the very least you can prove to your mates how much you know about local talent, and give the rest of the UK another reason why we’re better than them.