Why Glasgow is the best on a sunny day

It only happens twice a year – make the most of it

It is a rare occurrence, here in the city of Glasgow, when the sun is splitting the clear blue skies and the Scots actually look as though they are enjoying themselves. You could say a Scottish summer is basically two or three random days (at a push), usually in the month of April – it could’ve been snowing a week before. But when there is some sunshine in Glasgow, it really is the loveliest and cheeriest place and here’s why:

Free gigs?

The steps at the top of Buchanan Street is one of the best spots in the city during a sunny day, where you can sit and people-watch all day long or get a free gig from the buskers who are usually there. It is an ideal spot to just take a break for a while and take in the scenes of Buchanan Street.

George Square

Another great spot to chill on the grass and people-watch. You might even get lucky and witness something historical happening first-hand, as there is always seems to be some sort of protest going on. You can really feel the good vibes here.

The city centre looks so pretty

Bikes

Ever since the Commonwealth Games, Glasgow introduced a bike system where you can simply rent a bike from the street. The City Council has also vowed to make Glasgow the country’s cycling capital. So, you can easily rent a bike from anywhere in the city and go a cycle. I would recommend down by the Clyde.

Beer gardens

Who doesn’t love a beer garden?  Grab this opportunity by the throat and find a beer garden, then sip on a large fruity cider – who knows when the next time will be. There are so many beer gardens in Glasgow, such as Bier Halle, which is right in the middle of Buchanan Street, The Ark – much student vibes there, The Record Factory and Vodka Wodka. Perhaps even enjoy some pub grub? Buchanan Street also offers some great outdoor dining with the likes of Darcy’s from Princes Square and The Lab, which both have areas in the middle of the street for you to grab some lunch.

The parks

Glasgow Green, Kelvingrove – yet again more locations perfect for relaxing. You could even ride your rented bike here and maybe even have a picnic. Let’s not forget the ice cream shop that is stone throw away from KG – Big Licks.

This is Kelvingrove, believe it or not.

Everyone is just happier

The sun cheers everyone up, but I would say it cheers Glasgow up more than anywhere else. You can really tell everyone is just feeling fab, friendlier and happier – maybe because it’s a chance for “taps aff”? It’s nice to see a change of atmosphere from the usual dull and dreariness.

What’s not to be happy about on a day like this?