Forever 21 to shut Buchanan Street store

Around 200 jobs will be lost

One of the US’s biggest brands, Forever 21, is to shut its flagship Scottish store and around 200 jobs will be lost. 

The flagship store can be seen on the right of Buchanan Street

The fashion retailer, which has only been present in Scotland for less than three years, is said to be downsizing due to loss in profit. Its Manchester store has already been closed and other UK locations are expected to follow suit.

A leading retailing source has said the move indicates problems for Forever 21 itself, rather than issues within the Buchanan Street store. A recent report from The Wall Street Journal claims the firm’s profit has decreased because they have expanded into “cavernous stores” which they cannot maintain.

It is understood that Swedish firm H&M is to take over the site on Glasgow’s main shopping street, while using its store in Buchanan Galleries to sell some of its other brands. The store, which will open in the winter, will lead to the creation of 30 jobs and include the firm’s home, beauty and sports ranges.

However, the loss of the store has left current staff members feeling scared about the future.

An anonymous staff member, who has worked at the store for over a year, said: “I think staff should have been given much more notice of the store closing.

“I’m not sure when my last day will be but it’s pretty grim. I’m not sure what people plan to do next but I’ve already started job hunting.”

Another staff member stated: “I just received a phone call and was told something about them selling the site as they’d had an offer. I work part-time but there’s about 200 people there.”

Forever 21 spokeswoman Brittany Rae Fraser said the brand has carefully considered the move and “the long-term profitability” of the Buchanan Street location. She also said: “Forever 21 operates multiple stores across Europe, where our customers will continue to have access to the fast fashion they have come to love and expect from Forever 21.”