Male lecturers at the University of Glasgow are paid over £9,000 more than females

UCU released the stats for International Women’s Day

Male lecturers are paid on average £9,244 a year more than their female counterparts, the UCU study has revealed.

The statistics, released on International Women’s Day, prove how the gender wage gap still exists even today, nearly 50 years after the Equal Pay Act.

The study looked at salaries in higher education institutes from across the country, and Glasgow came in at 22nd in the UK for the biggest gender wage gap.

The study reveals that for all academic staff, men are paid on average £52,338 a year, whereas women are only paid £43,094 a year. It means that females are only paid 82.3% of the man’s wage.

This comes just after the news that Glasgow University has a ridiculously disproportioned male to female staff ratio; only 33% of employed staff in professional roles are women.

The gap is slightly smaller amongst professors, with women being paid 93.2% of men’s salary, at £76,274.

The UCU report notes that in higher education facilities in the UK “this difference in average pay is a gender pay gap of £528 million per year” and that “the total salary spend on female academics is £1.3 billion less than it is for male academics”.

According to the report, “the gap is larger at the so-called ‘elite’ Russell Group institutions” at 16.3%.

“Over half of all academics are women but only 23% of professors are women. It is clear that women are not being promoted to the top academic posts.”