Student Elections for 2016/2017 are underway today

Prepare yourself for the leaflets

If you have walked within a hundred yards of a uni building today, you will probably have met several cheery people giving out flyers, and will be well aware that the elections for the 4 main student bodies are now officially underway.

Glasgow’s election season is officially underway

But for those still in the dark, here’s a brief summary of what’s going on.

The hustings for candidates for the GUU elections are happening tonight, with their vote happening between 9am and 7pm tomorrow.

Most GUU positions only had one candidate so the spots are already filled, with President going to Fergus Craig and Vice President to Gavin Muir.

GUU board of management is up for elections

Elections are therefore taking place for four remaining roles contested by more than one candidate: Honorary Secretary, with Blair Lockwood and Robbie Miller in the running for it.

Former Student Member (2016), Present Student Member (2016) and Present Student Member (2017).

As always the PSM position is ridiculously popular, with Connor Davidson, William Finlayson, Emma Prendergast, Aslak Ringhus, Stefano Sesia, Lucy Stewart, John Willison, and Ellen Wilson in the running for the 5 one year PSM position.

John is one of the students running for 1 year PSM

For the two year one, it is Keri Anderson, Craig Everett, Lottie Van Grieken, Ailsa Jones, Roddy MacVicar, Alexandra Martin, and Irene McCannel running for the 5-two year positions.

Roddy is running for 2 year PSM

The QMU is electing its whole board of management, with positions like President, Honorary Secretary, Events Convenor and Current Student Representatives up for grabs.
Their hustings took place last night, but their Presidential Debate is at 6pm tonight in Jim’s Bar, with four candidates in the running: Emma Anderson, Jack Smith, Joe Mullally and Scott Wilson.
QMU elections will run tomorrow, also from 9am-7pm.

The SRC voting is already open, electing the President, VP Education, VP Student Activities, and International Students Officer among others.

Running for president is Ameer Ibrahim, UnaMarie Darragh, and Ellen Morton.

Anyone registered as a student is eligible to vote online, with voting open until 5pm tomorrow.

Also ongoing are elections for the GUSA council, which are open today and tomorrow in line with those for the SRC.

GUSA elections are open now, too

A variety of positions are being contested, including President, with Ruari Thomson and Alex Mas running for it, and Events Convenor.