Finnieston has been crowned the sixth ‘hippest’ area in the UK, and here’s why

Preferring the Finnieston things in life

Finnieston is everything we all love about Glasgow: stylish, witty, historic and vibrant. It has all the quirk and culture of the West End at its best, but none of the smugness of the student population of Hillhead, Woodlands or Hyndland (which is clearly the end of the known world).

The rent is miles cheaper than other places in the West End. The spec of flats is being upgraded all the time but even if this hasn’t reached your street, you’ll still be getting significantly more space for your money. The bus links are also great, as Argyle Street runs through as the lifeblood of the area.

The best burgers in the land

It also boasts the best and most interesting restaurants in the city: Old Salty’s (the one before it went mainstream and popped up on Byres Road), The Gannet, Crabshack, The Finnieston, Firebird and the legendary veggie/vegan pub The 78 (check out Sunday night jazz). The nightlife is bustling and eschews the club scene (basic beyond belief), here bars are the order of the day (and night).  Rioja, with its cocktails named after the surrounding streets, is a particular favourite. Go for miniature desserts and booze and stay for more miniature desserts and more booze.

Finnieston is the place you want to say you loved before it was cool. It’s set apart by its sense of community, something hard to find in any city let alone in the wealthy/student areas. This is embodied by the grocer (so retro) Roots and Fruits: while it’s smaller than its Great Western Road sister, the continuity and devotion of both staff and locals is charming. The area used to be all docks and warehouses – this industrial chic element and the rich Glaswegian history is a great way to connect.

The Finnieston crane

Sometimes we have to leave the West End (all the crying emojis) and when the city centre’s calling, the walk in from Finnieston can’t be beaten. Through Anderson and then the banking district, the two extremes: an enduring theme of Glasgow living, deprivation and opulence, poverty and pomp. It’s a short walk from The Hyrdo and there are loads of hotels for mum/dad/aunty Sharon/friends from home who can’t fit on your floor because you’re having such a rager. You’re also near the river which is actually lush to cycle along and not always sketchy (although we advise sticking to daylight hours).

The Hydro is magical

The Hidden lane is an exquisite distillation of all that’s great about Finnieston. A quaint and peaceful courtyard where the old character of the area is infused with new life in the form of art, yoga and the best afternoon tea in the city. Cosmopolitan richness with a local ethos you can really get excited about.   And for those in the coffee cult The Steamie has fantastic coffee and is seriously stylish.  If you love coffee and great food (especially amazing pastries) then Montgomerys is for you, its high ceilings and high quality will both charm.

Th exhibition centre train station which is the best way to access parts of Glasgow outside the west end (unorthodox student behaviour we know but give it a try), unless you live in Hyndland, in which case you have a great train station, a lovely flat and zero pals schlepping out to see you. The Guardian did an entire feature on a day in the area and you can’t get more west end than that.

I’ll always be G3 at heart and nothing will ever change that. Also, if all else fails, it’s like five minutes to Maccy D’s.