£12 million cycle scheme aims to turn Glasgow into ‘mini Holland’ by 2020

It aims to have 10 per cent of all journeys in Scotland to be by bike

The council is hoping to obtain funding to create a new infrastructure in Glasgow that will give more opportunity for cyclists in the city centre.

The £12 million cycling scheme involves building multiple segregated cycle paths that will run throughout the city centre.

In particular, St George’s Cross and Victoria Road are areas in which the council would like to integrate new cycle lanes and also hope to provide bike parking areas near the subway station.

Despite driving being the dominant method of transport in Glasgow, the council hopes the scheme will encourage people to be more confident in using bikes as their main way of getting around the city.

Martin McElroy from Glasgow City Council said: “Unfortunately in Glasgow the car is still king. It is going to take a lot of investment in infrastructure to change that.”

Glasgow City Council are hopeful that this proposal will not only lead to cycling becoming a more popular means of transport for Glasgow’s inhabitants, but the social aspects of the city’s culture could be improved by these plans for a brand new Dutch inspired infrastructure.