Why The University of Glasgow should be your first choice

It should at least have been one of your choices.

For the youngsters amongst us who have only just applied to uni and who didn’t apply for Glasgow, this is for you. Because you have seriously missed out.
Why?
Oh, just a few things, really.

Dayuuuum!

It’s a top level university

When people think “UK universities with prestige”, they’ll usually look to Oxford, Cambridge, and UCL. Something that can be easily forgotten however, is that Glasgow often places amongst them, due to all four universities being part of the Russell Group. This group of 24 universities is known both individually and collectively as “research-intensive” and “world-class”.

On top of this, Glasgow is consistently placed in the top 30 universities in the UK in the rankings of The Guardian, The Complete University Guide, and the SI-UK Education Council. In world rankings, it’s not uncommon to find Glasgow within the top 100 in the likes of the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities.

So in case one of your priorities for study is a top-class university, Glasgow has you covered.

Glasgow is a great place to live

From the West End to the South Side, and even in the city centre itself, you’re spoiled for choice as to which great area of Glasgow you should live in.
The student halls are great fun. We can guarantee that. Whether you stick with the fun filled people pleaser that is Murano or opt for the slightly more classy Queen Margaret halls, you’re going to have many memorable (and not so memorable) nights.

Not pictured: the resulting hangovers from said memorable nights.

And you certainly won’t be bored in Glasgow. Take into account the various places to eat and go for a drink on Byres Road, Ashton Lane, Great Western Road…and that’s only in the West End! Glasgow is famous for its nightlife, with Viper and Hive catering to those who want to be able to walk home at the end of the night, and Sauchihall St offering itself up for the times when a bigger night is in order.

History students and grandparents will have a blast with The Necropolis, Glasgow Cathedral, and Kelvingrove Museum. And if clothes shopping and utilising your overdraft are amongst your hobbies, then the city centre has everything you could possibly need between Buchanan Galleries and the St Enoch’s centre.

If there’s one thing Scotland does well, it’s Winter. And let me tell you, Winter in Glasgow is hard to beat! Christmas time brings with it ice skating in George Square, and unlimited mulled wine and churros (?!) at the German Christmas Market. Need a cute, seemingly heartfelt Christmas gift for Aunt Maureen? The German market has your back.

woweewow.

If none of this appeals to you (seriously?!) then never fear, because…

There’s so many societies you can join 

If you want to see just how many, head over to Glasgow’s Student Representatives Council. They have a whole host of clubs and societies affiliated with them, including Pause Gaming, the Malt Whiskey Society, the LGBTQ+ Society, and societies for most (if not all) the subjects at Glasgow. If you’re looking for something more physically intensive, the Glasgow University Sports Association has you covered. From Athletics to Fencing, Rowing to Wakeboarding, your inner athlete should be more than content.

Gooooosaaaaa

Know who else goes to clubs and societies? People. Make some friends you muppet!

There are two Student Unions 

Count them: two.
Oh, you thought your university was hot stuff with its one SU?
HA.
You can choose at Glasgow.
If you favour varied events in a large establishment with multiple rooms and bars, head on over to the Glasgow University Union. If you prefer a smaller, more intimate setting garnered towards bars, gigs and their own café, you can pop into the Queen Margaret Union. Once again, Glasgow just spoils you for choice. The best part is: you don’t even have to choose. You can join both! Ooh you lucky thing..

Now doesn’t this look fun?

If none of that convinces you that Glasgow is a decent option, I’m confident that this can sway you…

Our main building is basically Hogwarts

I mean, look at this.

Have you seen this?

It’s ridiculous.

Come on, who DIDN’T want a letter from Hogwarts when they were younger? And who doesn’t still want to go to Hogwarts?

That’s what I thought.

That is all.

So, if you’ve just got done applying for universities, and Glasgow wasn’t at least on your list, then sorry; you’ve missed out on a fantastic place to study.

And, if you’re already at Glasgow, congratulations! You made the right decision. Enjoy!