Kelvingrove Organist’s Bowie Tribute goes Viral

He played ‘Life on Mars’

After hearing about the tragic passing of David Bowie, Chris Nickol – the Organist for The Kelvingrove Museum, payed tribute with his own organ rendition of Life on Mars, one of the singers most famous songs.

It was during one of the museums lunchtime recitals, and a passer by, artist Gordon Wilson, was so moved by the performance that he decided to video it and upload it to his Facebook page.

The video has had an enormous reaction with around two million views so far and amazingly positive feedback from fans all around the world.

Chris Nickol, West End Organist/ Internet Sensation

BBC News have reported on it with a short interview from from Nickol who described his experience:

“I’m quite overwhelmed. It’s very gratifying that the Kelvingrove organ, the wonderful sound of the Kelvingrove organ has been heard far and wide – and great that Bowie’s fantastic song writing genius is also being heard far and wide.

“It really is a most wonderful, wonderful song.”

Fans at Bowie’s memorial party in Brixton

According to the artist who uploaded the video there was an overwhelming reaction from the audience in the West End Museum: “It was so amazing.

“I’ve never heard Bowie like that before. The man just played a blinder. I was welling up and I could see people beside me welling up – and it was just crazy.”

Nickol is clearly very talented and his performance has been admired by many as a very touching and appropriate tribute to a much loved legend.

Here is a link to the article by the Evening Times and full video if you want to check it out:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14198878.Scots_organist_whose_David_Bowie_tribute_became_viral_hit_is__overwhelmed__by_reaction/