Man held after body found in search for missing Karen Buckley

She was last seen in Sanctuary on Saturday

karen buckley national noad

A body has been found in the hunt for missing Caledonian student Karen Buckley.

Police discovered the body on farmland last night, four days after the nurse went missing.

A body was found on High Craigton Farm following a tip off from a witness but it is yet to be formally identified. Karen’s family have been informed.

Karen left the club without saying bye to her friends

Karen, 24, was last seen in Sanctuary, Dumbarton Road, before she left the club with Alexander Pacteau around 1am.

Pacteau previously told police she came back to his flat, where they were “intimate”, and she left alone at 4am.

Her bag was later found dumped in Dawsholm Park on Tuesday.

Pacteau was not considered a suspect at the time, but yesterday police confirmed a 21 year old man was arrested in connection with her death.

Karen, originally from Cork in Ireland, was in her first year at Glasgow Caledonian University studying Occupational Therapy.

Her parents flew over to Scotland to help with the search after concerned flatmates reported her missing when she didn’t return home from the club.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Officers have recovered human remains on a farm in the north Glasgow, on the outskirts of Milngavie.

“Formal identification has yet to take place, however, police believe they may be those of missing woman Karen Buckley.”

Ireland’s minister for foreign affairs Charlie Flanagan said: “On behalf of the government, I wish to express appreciation for all that has been done by the Scottish authorities, and especially Police Scotland in Glasgow, to find Karen and to support the Buckley family throughout this very difficult time.”