Six pedestrians dead in George Square crash

Police have confirmed the fatalities

noad

Several people have died after a lorry crashed this afternoon in Glasgow’s busy city centre.

Police Scotland have confirmed six people died this afternoon after a bin lorry lost control in George Square, mounting a crowded pavement.

An eyewitness told Sky News: “It continued knocking people down until in ended up in the building. Quite horiffic. Very scary.”

Several others have been seriously injured in the accident as seven people were taken to three different hospitals.

The driver has also been taken to hospital but the extent of his injuries are unknown.

A Glasgow City Council bin lorry driving North towards Queen Street station was seen to have suddenly lost control and smashed into the Millenium Hotel where it is now wedged.

The sound could be heard from quite a distance away and the driver of the vehicle was said to have been slumped over the wheel.

Glasgow student Josie, who was in George Square, said: “I heard police sirens and saw them tape up the scene.

“No one had any idea what was happening, my heart goes out to all the families of the victims.”

Police say the crash did not appear deliberate.

Second year Archie said: “The atmosphere in the station is candidly sad.”

The Council tweeted the Christmas lights have been left on to aid the investigation.

Police have issued the number for a dedicated helpline for anyone who may be concerned about loved ones in Glasgow today 01786 289070.