Reverend to be honoured with Doctorate of Divinity by the University

Reverend Lorna Hood acted as moderator to the Church of Scotland

The University of Glasgow will be honoring the Very Reverend Lorna Hood today with a Doctorate of Divinity.

The ceremony comes as an extension of this year’s Winter Graduation Program.

A previous student of Glasgow University herself, having received a Master of Arts in 1974, and a Bachelor of Divinity in 1977, Reverend Hood also chaired the General Assembly in 2013.

She acted as the Moderator to the Church of Scotland and in 2008 was appointed and acted as one of the Ten Chaplains to the Queen in Scotland.

She was also considered one of the 100 most influential women in the United Kingdom by Radio 4’s Women’s Hour in 2013.

Also being honored is Karyn McCluskey, who is receiving a Doctor of the University for her work as co-director of Scotland’s Violence Reduction Unit.

And the list doesn’t stop their with Lord Patrick Stewart Hodge, a Justice of the UK Supreme Court and Parveen Kumar, a Professor of Medicine and Education at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London also being honoured.

Bute Hall

The university’s vice principal, Professor John Briggs emphasized the privilege of being able to honor all of this year’s honorary degree recipients as they are all, as he described, “leaders both within their field of expertise and beyond”.

The honorary degrees will be presented at ceremonies taking place throughout this week, in the university’s Bute Hall.