Free speech: Israeli ambassador hits back at Glasgow Uni

‘The University made a choice to bow to intimidation’ says Curiel

An Israeli Embassy spokesman has criticised Glasgow University following his recent visit here.

The University’s Europe society invited Yiftah Curiel to give a talk to approximately sixty students. However the speech was cancelled due to protestors who accused Israel of being a “genocidal” country using “extermination”.

The University apparently failed to defend freedom of speech and bowed to alleged intimidation during the talk for the Europe Society.

Protestors outside QMU

Curiel, the media spokesman for the Israeli Embassy, writing for Scotland on Sunday about the event said:

“As they began to physically approach me, the university security asked that we evacuate the room for fear that the situation may become unsafe, and because they were not authorised to remove the disruptors ‘by force’.”

Following this, both Curiel and all 60 students had to be moved into the university chaplain’s office.

Another meeting, this time with the Jewish society, was forced to move location to a local synagogue because of concerns by the university security.

Protesters included Liam Hainey, Green Party Councillor for Langside.

students took to twitter to describe the events

Curiel went on to say: “This second meeting was not interrupted but left me no less concerned, with one student explaining she did not feel comfortable revealing her Jewish identity on campus, and another who had been made to feel unwelcome at one of the student societies because she didn’t hold anti-Israeli views.’

These fears are supported by the alleged attack on Iona Georgina.

She was selling Israeli cosmetics at a stall in St Enoch Centre in Glasgow, when someone allegedly threw a ‘burning chemical’ on her. The company she worked for had also been the subject of non-violent pro-Palestinian protests.

“Universities need to listen to their students and take a firm stand against extremists who trample freedom of speech, using violent messages that demonise Israel.

“The political leadership must also send out a clear message that incitement is unacceptable.”

Israeli Embassy spokesperson Yiftah Curiel

Curiel adds: “I left Glasgow with a nagging feeling that freedom of speech, a cornerstone of academic discourse and British tradition, may somehow not be applicable to Israelis on UK campuses.

“The end result was not ­intended by the university or the students, but by choosing not to take action against a small number of deliberate disrupters, the university made a choice to bow to intimidation and to prevent the encounter from taking place.”

Israel was condemned by the international community over the conflict in Gaza this summer, which resulted in the deaths of approximatey 2,200 people.

A spokesperson for Glasgow University told the Scotland on Sunday: “The University of Glasgow was able to facilitate the visit to its main campus by Mr Yiftah Curiel, press attaché at the Israeli Embassy, arranged at short notice.

“When it became clear that his presentation was likely to be disrupted, an alternative venue was provided which allowed the event to go ahead.”