Fire-starter: Reason for devastating GSA fire identified

It’s been described as a freak accident

The fire was caused by a freak accident involving a can of expanding foam and a projector.

It is thought that a student, who has not been named, used the can of foam for a piece of artwork covering three walls in Studio 19 of the building.

A projector mounted on the fourth wall reacted and is said to be the cause of the fire in May of this year.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service report stated that flammable gases from the aerosol can, came into contact with the hot electrical parts of the projector.

The aerosol was used against the health and safety rules of the school.

The fire began and quickly spread due to the timber lined walls of the building.

A new fire-proof system was being installed in the school at the time but was not operational on the day of the fire, which destroyed 10% of the building itself, including the iconic Mackintosh library, and 30% of the artwork.

It is estimated that around £20 million will need to be raised to restore the building.

And with £12 million raised already through benefactors including Brad Pitt and Peter Capaldi, the future looks bright for Glasgow School of Art.