Absolutely mortifying online mistakes

If you haven’t made at least one of these mistakes, you are a god among mere mortals

Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Tinder. Snapchat.

All public forums, all capable of absolutely humiliating you at the slightest, accidental feather light touch of a button.

The double tap:

You’re on Instagram, scrolling through the endless selfies, holiday pics and food photos.

You tell yourself it’ll be a short study break, one quick flick through and then back to studying.

Half an hour later, you’re on someones profile you vaguely know, and who could potentially recognise you in the street, but you are most definitely not ‘friends’ yet.

And yet you’re 56 weeks into their instagram.

The accidental double tap comes out of nowhere, the love heart sign comes booming out of the photo.

That is when you realise, to your utter shame, you have liked a photo.

All you can do is double tap again, the like will disappear, but the notification will not.

The accidental like:

One time my friend wisely said: “I never facebook stalk on my mobile, it’s far too risky.”

And this is most certainly true. A few weeks later, the risky facebook stalking caused me horrendous shame.

After scrolling through my friend’s facebook, I clicked a on a wallpost sent to him by his sister. There were comments. I accidentally liked a comment. I was mortified.

How many times does this happen to you?

Hopefully the victims of this facebook stalking will be flattered you are that interested in their lives, but for most that inevitable notification is a creepy reminder that some people (like myself for sure) have far too much time on their hands.

The right-handed follow:

The new layout on twitter means that following someone has never been easier.

And avoiding the follow button has never been harder.

There is a new follow sign on the right hand side of the screen, so, if you are twitter stalking someone you don’t follow, underneath every tweet you make is a new, handy, yet extremely dangerous follow sign.

But with this great new accessible button, comes many accidental new follows.

Much to twitter users dismay.

The swipe that never should have happened:

Tinder, the number one place to be as shallow as you want to be towards the opposite sex.

A couple of minutes on the app can see you go through a tonne of people.

And you become almost trance like as you swipe left left left left left BUT WAIT – you accidentally just said no to the hottest guy/girl/human you have ever seen in your entire life.

Of course, the opposite can happen too.

A swipe right to someone who was definitely meant to be a no, who then proceeds to message you constantly for the next week is always a disaster.

Messenger mistakes:

The new messenger app on facebook makes messaging someone easier than ever. Brilliant.

But what if the messenger app doesn’t always update someone’s last active login?

And then you embarrass yourself by messaging someone who you think is online, but isn’t.

And hasn’t been for hours. Awkward.

It doesn’t sound so bad, unless you message someone at 3am saying something corny because you think they’re there at that moment.

But actually they’ve been zonked out since 11pm the previous night.

That’s happened to me, and though I deleted my message in the hope it would never get to said person, it did. Wah.

Messenger mistakes part two:

The new way to send photos on the messenger app is heinous.

You can’t preview before you send, and the amount of thumb shots that have occurred because of this in my case are ridiculous.

The snapchat story:

Sometimes your hands work quicker than your brain can function.

My best friend is the self proclaimed queen of ugly selfies. She only sends them to us (her four best amigos) but she proclaims her biggest fear is:

“Accidentally pressing the my story button and all of my contacts seeing how ugly I can be.”

Because a snapchat is for a moment, but a screenshot is for life.