Squirrels of Glasgow: Scotland’s answer to Humans of New York

‘They’re just quite confident, they don’t care what people think about them’

Squirrels of Glasgow is the new, hilarious, student-run response to world-famous page Humans of New York.

Starting under two weeks ago, the page has already amassed 381 likes, growing by 100 in the last 24 hours.

I spoke to founding member Amy McShane to find out more about Squirrels of Glasgow:

“Every morning I walk through the Botanical Gardens, and I don’t know if you know but there are squirrels everywhere.

“So we had been taking pictures of them, and we wondered, what we should do with all these squirrels.

“So we thought about the Humans of New York page, and thought it would be funny if someone did this for squirrel’s.”

When asked whether she thought the page would become big so quickly Amy said: “No not at all.

“Everyone thought we were mad at first.

“People ask me ‘Why are you so obsessed with squirrels?’

“One of my flatmates said they really don’t understand why people are liking it because it’s really not funny.

“But everyone else tells me how hilarious they think it is.”

When asked who she’d back in a fight, Amy went for a grey over red, but it wasn’t just their agility that sparked this choice:

“They’re just quite confident, they don’t care what people think about them. I mean a lot of people don’t like them.

“A lot of them like to go behind a tree and puff themselves up before the photo.”