Glasgow sends second Meningitis warning this year

The Strathy outbreak has them sweating

Freshers living in halls have been warned of a meningitis outbreak. 

The email comes two days after reports of an outbreak at Strathclyde halls.

An email was sent from Glasgow to the first years at Glasgow Uni residences, warning them of the signs and symptoms of Meningitis C.

The email read: “You may be aware that two students at Strathclyde University have recently been diagnosed with Meningitis.

“It has been established by Public Health Scotland that the two cases are not related to each other, and the cases are also unrelated to the case last month here at the University of Glasgow.

“The two cases continue to be monitored by Public Health Scotland and any close contacts of the students have already received appropriate medical treatment and/or advice.”

This is the second warning about Men C in Glasgow uni halls, with the first case being reported on the 30th September.

“Over the weekend there was a reported case of meningitis within the first year student population. This happens every few years at University of Glasgow Halls of Residence.

‘These are normally isolated cases with a very low risk to other students. Students who are in the same accommodation or classes as the student have already been informed.”

Both emails urged students once again to make sure they are safely vaccinated against the disease.

Symptoms of the disease include:

• fever
  • severe headaches
  • stiff neck
  • nausea and vomiting
  • a rash or bruise that does not disappear when pressed with a cold glass

Students in the entire Glasgow area are encouraged to be aware of the symptoms, and contact their GP if they notice any of the signs and symptoms printed above.