Daniel’s big issue: Snobby students

Judging someone on their job? At least he’s not a PR like you

One of Byres Road’s most recognisable faces is its Big Issue seller.

But Daniel has his own issues with us.

The 41-year-old has had his fair share of abuse. He said: “I’ve had students point and name-call.

“They have no place to judge when I’m making my own money and a lot of them are living off their parents.”

Daniel’s journey towards selling the Big issue is a sad one.

His life started spiralling when he lost his job. He said: “It was a dark period.

“I was made redundant, and then split with my wife. After that I was living on the brew. 

“I would go days without money, waiting on my next cheque.”

Daniel was then given a pitch in the city centre with the Big Issue. But things only got worse. He said: “I worked the early hours of the mornings, when drunk students, locals and tourists would hurl abuse at me.

“I would even have things thrown at me, and sometimes I’d be beaten.

“Those night have just sort of rolled into one.”

But there is one night that stands out. He said: “A group of yobs beat me up and stole the big issues from me.

“They were calling me a scumbag.”

Life has got much better for Daniel since his pitch was moved into our West End bubble.

And now he doesn’t hold anything against students, even though they can be miserable towards him. He said: “Some of them are snobs.

“But I know some can’t afford to buy a copy, and they’ll still stop to say hello, sometimes giving me their loose change.”

Now things are looking up for him now: “There’s one woman who brings me lunch most days, either buys it or makes it.”

There’s still the occasional turned-up nose: “But now it’s water off a duck’s back.”

Stop being mean to Daniel. #DanielsBigIssue