Qmunicate wrongly accuses GUU of ‘homophobic chanting’

The allegations have since been deemed untrue

QMU’s publication accused GUU of “offensive, sexist and anti-semitic” chants at Sunday’s end-of-week Freshers’ party.

But students who attended the party are backing GUU, saying Qmunicate “over-reacted to friendly, healthy, student rivalries”.

Qmunicate headline read: “Homophobic chanting mars Freshers’ Week post-party at the GUU”.

Two and a half stars says it all.

The online magazine claims “helpers from the Glasgow University Union targeted helpers from the other student bodies with homophobic chants and abuse as well as addressing several individuals with homophobic slurs.”

But students who were present disagree. Tillie Russell, a GUSA fresher’s helper, and a homosexual, said: “Chanting is so tribal and you back up your team whatever they say.

“But I don’t think anyone who’s actually gay would take any heed.”

Christina Chalk, a 4th year pharmacology Student and GUU helper, said: “I hadn’t heard any homophobic chants. Mainly “GU-GUSA let’s be friends” and “SRC SRC you’re not coming home with me’” .”

But QMU is standing firm with its allegations. And some students think the rumours betray an underlying problem.

Doug Jack, a QMU helper said: “I believe personally there may be an underlying culture that must be dealt with, and whilst I didn’t observe any specific incidents myself I don’t for one second question the reliability of my colleauges and friends.

“It’s not going to help the GUU’s honest attempts at change.”

No one seemed to take issue with this.

Glasgow uni’s Freshers’ Week is dominated by four Student bodies: the Glasgow University Union (GUU), the Queen Margaret Union (QMU), The Student Representative Council (SRC) and The Glasgow University Sports Association (GUSA).

GUSA claims to be an impartial voice of reason between the Unions with chants such as “GU-GUSA let’s be friends”, “QM-GUSA let’s be friends” and “We’re impartial – we’re impartial”

There is also the often overlooked: “I’d rather have two unions than just one”.

But the rivalry is still rife between the Unions.

GUSA helper in a GUU T-shirt getting up close with a GUU helper.

And unfortunately these allegations come after Glasgow Uni was given top marks as one of six most gay-friendly unis in the UK by LGBT activist charity Stonewall.

Universities are graded on their policies for tackling homophobic bullying and the GUU threw students out for a separate casse of homophobic language as recently as last week.

One helper, Rachel, said: “The duty board of the union could not have dealt with that case better, the fresher who supposedly used the homophobic language towards a freshers helper was thrown out immediately, no questions asked.

“GUU take all accusations of this type extremely seriously.”

There has since been an investigation into these accusations which have been found untrue.

Qmunicate have now taken down the original article.