Exclusive: These students wore jackets saying ‘I love rape’ and ‘F**k the Syrians’ to a social

They also had swastikas drawn on

Exeter University students wore hi-vis jackets on a night out last night which were scribbled with “I love rape”, “Fuck the Syrians” and swastikas.

The students were on a Camborne School of Mines (CSM) social enjoying a pub crawl in Falmouth Town on Thursday night.

The jackets were worn by Exeter students on courses such as Geology and Mining. The night is known as a ‘PPE’ night, as those on mining courses are regularly given high-vis and hard hats as Personal Protective Equipment.

Students were later seen wearing their jackets inside out following the negative backlash.

This morning The Tab Falmouth received exclusive screenshots from the society’s group chat. In the chat a society member tells everyone who was wearing the hi-vis jackets on the social to destroy and delete all photos from the evening.

The first message says: “Whatever you do, do not wear your high vis from last night to your practical.

“I hope you enjoyed the evening but to stay safe do not wear anything from last night again.”

A second message, from another society member says: “Right guys. Last night was great fun but it’s definitely going to receive some consequences. Please destroy any high-vis tops you have (you can make new ones next year). If you have any photos or videos, delete them NOW. This is for your best interest and us as a committee.”

A message sent to all first year Geology students

A CSM student, who obviously wanted to remain anonymous, apologised for the actions of those involved: “We are aware that students on the CSM social last night had offensive comments written on hi-vis jackets. We apologise for any offence caused from this on what is usually a light hearted and fun traditional night for CSM students.”

There has been a serious backlash on Fitfinder:

I am a CSM student studying engineering geology. I have lived in Cornwall all my life. Like the rest of you, I am…

Posted by Penryn Campus Fitfinder on Friday, October 6, 2017

Lost my hard hat and hi-vis last night. They have some pretty decent cocks drawn on the back. If someone finds them let yourself be known.

Apologies to anyone offended by the CSM social last night, we've always been disliked by the rest of campus but some…

Ok can the csm lot fuck right off now

A University of Exeter spokesman said: “The University of Exeter and the Falmouth and Exeter Students Union (FXU) have a zero-tolerance policy towards racist, misogynist or similarly highly-offensive behaviour of any form. As soon as we were made aware of this incident we sought immediately to identify the students and organisers involved and demanded that all offensive material be removed. An investigation was launched immediately and the consequences for anyone found to have breached our code of conduct will be determined by our disciplinary processes.

“We take the welfare and wellbeing of all our students, and our relationship with the local community, very seriously and are extremely disappointed by these unacceptable actions displayed by a small number of students, and we apologise unreservedly for the offence caused.”

Falmouth