Mango’s has closed its doors for good, what the hell do we do now?

We can’t stay at Club I forever

If you were to ask a Falmouth student why they love their University so much, I can guarantee that the answer wouldn’t be ‘the nightlife.’ The reason for this, simply put, is that it is completely dead.

13262378-1026581277419702-644911688-o-1024x768

‘Pre-drinking’ happens all over the country, although this University is the only one that actually requires you downing a bottle of vodka in order to ensure you’re going to have a semi decent time out in the town.

Mango’s was a place for the students, our safe place, our haven. It understood that students in Falmouth deserved the right to a decent night out – and an alternative to the ever so popular with locals, Club International. Being next-door neighbours, the weekend battle for who could gather most people was always interesting to watch; until you realised that students flocked to Mango’s, while Club I held all the locals.

It took one noise complaint from a local who lived near the high street to signal the demise of Mango’s. The council felt it would be fitting and perfectly acceptable to give the bar a £20,000 fine – something that I still can’t seem to get my head around.

The council have always found it hard to balance themselves between pleasing both students and the locals, but this felt just a little excessive. I can’t speak for all of the locals by any means, but the one’s i’ve had the pleasure of conversing with hate students. I completely understand it as well, their quaint town seems to now be overrun by a bunch of arty, youthful hipsters. I wouldn’t wish for my grandmothers town to be overrun with students like Falmouth has been.

12795281-609430885879356-5439463046855888384-n

That is what has happened though, and we need to start working in harmony. The students need places to go on a night time, it’s part of university life. I am in no way saying that I want Falmouth high street to turn into Magaluf strip; the quietness and beauty of the area our University is placed in is part of the charm. I just strongly feel that the council need to understand they can’t charge one of the only bar’s we had £20,000 for one noise complaint.

We will continue to make the most out of what we have as it’s all we can do, I just hope something comes along that will replace Mango’s.

We can’t stay at Club International forever.