Move ‘closed until further notice’ after 16-year-old girl dies after ‘taking tablet’

A 16-year-old boy was arrested and has since been released on bail

Exeter nightclub Move is “closed until further notice” following the death of a 16-year-old girl after taking “an unknown substance”.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a class A drug, and has been released on bail.

Ambulance staff called police to the club at around 12.30am on the morning of Saturday 3rd December. The girl was taken to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital before she died.

“It is thought that a number of teenagers may have taken the tablets containing unknown substances”, Devon and Cornwall Police said. Officers are looking to speak to anyone who was also affected.

Move nightclub said on its Facebook page: “We have run the 16-18 year old nights for over 6 years to create a positive space around music for people of this age-group to express themselves and to enjoy music with friends.”

The club offered its “deepest condolences” to the girl’s friends and family, saying: “We are devastated by this awful tragedy.

“As a mark of respect Move nightclub will be closed until further notice.”

Detective Chief Inspector Lee Nattrass from Devon and Cornwall Police said: “We have identified several teenagers already who reported that they had taken drugs, but we would urge anyone else who has felt unwell as a result to seek medical help and to contact us.

“We have seen time and time again that these substances can kill, and we have another tragic case on our hands. Talk To Frank is a website that has vital information for people about many types of drugs, and we ask that parents have open and honest conversations with their children about the risks of drugs.

“You don’t know what they contain, and you don’t know the reaction you may have; it could be fatal. I urge anyone considering taking drugs to think twice and reconsider.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Devon and Cornwall Police via their website or by calling 101 quoting reference 50220049906.

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. For support and advice on alcohol and drugs, contact Talk to Frank on 0300 123 6600. You matter.