Exeter has had more reports of sexual harassment and assault than any other UK uni

New statistics have been released by Everyone’s Invited

New statistics show that Exeter has had more reports of sexual assault than any other university.

Out of 1,035 testimonies sent to campaign group Everyone’s Invited in just one week, Exeter is named in 65 of them.

The Universities of Oxford, Edinburgh and Leeds follow in number of reports, with 57, 53 and 53 respectively.

In total, 86 UK universities have been named by the movement, which was founded by Soma Sara to tackle a culture of sexual violence in places of education and be a platform for survivors to share their experiences.

A University of Exeter spokesperson told The Tab student wellbeing is the university’s “primary concern”. It said “a wider range of safety and support measures” have been put in place to “tackle misogyny and violence against women”, such as the improvement of its “policies and reporting system.”

Conversations surrounding rape culture have been particularly important after the news of Sarah Everard’s death, for which vigils were held across the country. One took place on Cathedral Green on 20th March, organised by Exeter Against Sexual Abuse.

Another was held in the form of a sit-in outside the Forum on 22nd March, as part of the Sit Down N Shut Up movement, which was created by three Exeter students in response to growing discussions on women’s safety.

Stroll Mates, a volunteer scheme with an aim to prevent women from having to walk home alone in the city, was set up by third year Exeter student Islay Morgan a few months ago.

It has become a sub-group of Urban Angels Exeter, which is an online platform founded to promote women’s safety by allowing members to share experiences and alert others of potential dangers in the city.

__

A University of Exeter spokesperson said: “The safety, security and wellbeing of our students is, and always will be, our primary concern. We have put in place a wide range of safety and support measures, improved our policies and reporting system and continue to work with students, colleagues and community partners to tackle misogyny and violence against women. We have made it clear to all members of our community that we have zero tolerance for sexual harassment, abuse or assault, and that criminal or disciplinary proceedings will be brought against those who commit these offences. Any form of violence or sexual violence is always a crime.

“We will continue to support each other and work together to keep all members of our community safe and feeling safe. We encourage all students to report and get the support they need through our Exeter Speaks Out web pages as well as our wellbeing support for students and staff or the Students’ Guild Advice Service or the Students’ Union Advice Service.”