Breaking: Some Exeter freshers unable to return to halls for the rest of term due to bomb

Students will be able to collect ‘essential belongings’ only from tomorrow

Exeter first year students have been told they will not be able to return to their university halls for at least the remainder of this term.

The email sent to students this afternoon says that this affects those students living in Birks Grange Village blocks A-G and partially block H, and Clydesdale Rise block B.

The email says that whilst the university is making arrangements to offer these students alternative university accommodation, students will need to “remain in your temporary accommodation over the weekend and into next week”. The university has said they will “aim, where possible to keep you within your current households”.

Students will have to book a 30 minute ‘click and collect’ slot to retrieve essential belongings only from their rooms “where it is safe to do so”. This collection process will take place tomorrow.

The email says students’ non-essential belongings will be secured safely in their rooms until they move to alternative accommodation next week, with the university saying they would “work with you and an external removals company to help move your belongings safely and securely”.

The email warns students they may “see damage to communal areas and within your room”, but they students should be “reassured that we expect this to be covered by insurance and we are working to put in place a straightforward system for claiming against items that might be damaged”.

The email added: “We are very sorry that you continue to be affected by this ongoing situation and we know it’s really difficult for everyone not able to return to University accommodation.

“We’re doing everything we can, as quickly as we can, to assess and resolve the damage to our residences and to work out what this means for everyone affected”.

Ian Blenkharn, Director of Education and Support at the University of Exeter, said: “We know that this will have been a challenging time for many students, and we continue to provide full support to those affected. However, while the vast majority of students have now returned to their accommodation, there are still a number of students are still unable to return to university halls or private residences while safety works continue to take place.

“Unfortunately, due to damage some accommodation blocks on campus remain inaccessible and we do not expect them to reopen in the final weeks of term. The University is in direct contact with all affected students and will make the necessary arrangements to offer alternative University accommodation and ongoing support.

“We are providing transport to and from campus for those that require it, and representatives from our Here to Help team are available in the hotel receptions throughout the day to support the students.

“The University has also provided those who continue to be affected with a support payment of £100, which will be extended by an additional £100 for those that remain in temporary accommodation over the weekend. This is in addition to food and wifi allowances that have also been made to displaced students. The University is also arranging for students to book slots to collect essential belongings from their rooms, and making arrangements regarding insurance cover for any damage to personal belongings.

“We will continue to support our students until they can safely return to their accommodation, but anyone with concerns is asked to contact the Incident Line on 0300 3034847 or email [email protected]”.