‘I did it for the boys’: Exeter uni’s best Movember ‘taches and haircuts

Exeter raised the most money of all UK unis!

TW: This article contains discussion of suicide and mental health 

As November draws to a close, that only really means one thing at Exeter – there are some very hairy men on campus.

Exeter has smashed yet another record, beating the money we raised last year by over £100,000. So far this year Exeter has raised over £191,960, placing the uni at the top of the leaderboard for money raised of all the unis in the UK. Second place is Nottingham, which is almost £78,ooo behind.

According to the University of Exeter’s Movember page, 80 teams took part in raising money for men’s health, particularly men’s mental health, prostate and testicular cancer. Exeter’s rugby team raised the most money at a whopping £23,923.20, followed by the men’s cricket club at £20,494.31 and football at £18,511.75.

Via Exeter University’s movember page

But it’s not just the men’s teams who have been doing their part in raising money for November. The women’s netball club has raised over £6,850 and ladies’ hockey with over £6,500, by running and walking throughout the month of November.

With such amazing efforts from Exeter students to raise money for Movember, here are some of this year’s best tashes and some bonus haircuts!

Will – third year

Will told the Exeter Tab: “Two years ago in my first year of uni, I decided to attempt to take my own life. My mental health was in tatters and I felt like a burden.

“Obviously now I can look back with the benefit of hindsight, this was a crazy way to think and I would never put myself in that position again. However, even after being at rock bottom, I still never had it in me to reach out for help and talk to people. If I had realised that it’s not weak to talk about how you feel out of fear from what others might think, maybe I wouldn’t have put my recovery on hold for so long.

“If anyone is feeling this pain, or anything similar but are holding back from talking, please don’t. Don’t be like me, I promise it’ll hurt a lot less if you reach out.”

Oliver – third year

Oliver said: “More and more I see the effects of Movember. Friends asking me if I’m ok, people actively getting each other involved in anything if they’re having a rough time. The positive effect November is clearly having makes it a no brainer to take part.”

Francesco – first year

Francesco said: “I grew my moustache because it helps raise awareness for men’s mental health which is very important, especially this year. In my opinion this is the most important Movember ever.”

Nick, Henry and James – third and fourth years

Aaron, Tom and Joe – second year

You might be shocked by the commitment of these … haircuts? Well, they raised £450 in a charity livestream thanks to their hair, or lack thereof.

Felix – second year

Felix told the Exeter Tab: “I’ve ran 50km this month and have raised over £200!”

Todd – second year

Todd said: “I left it up to votes on my Facebook feed to decide the inspiration for this year’s tash. After smashing my initial target I claimed I would dye it blonde to bring the great Hulk Hogan to life.”

Joey – fifth year

Joey said he took part in November “to save a bro!”

Leon – second year

Leon told the Exeter Tab: “Up the mobros and keep donating! Video of me shaving my head is on my Facebook if people want to see it go.”

Aaryan – second year

Aaryan said: “I took part in November to raise awareness for mental health and help raise some money.”

Michael – third year

Michael said: “I did it to raise awareness and encourage people to educate themselves on mental health.”

Lionel – third year

Lionel said he “did it for the boys”.

Tom – third year

Perhaps one of the best moustaches in Exeter this year, Tom told the Exeter Tab: “I dyed my moustache and beard green for Movember as part of EUABCs November efforts #bleedgreen. It stained my skin for a few days and I’ve never had more people giving me side glances walking up Forum Hill before!”

If you still want to donate, go to Exeter’s Movember page here

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Mind on 0300 123 3393, and Calm (Campaign against living miserably, for men aged 15 to 35) on 0800 58 58 58.