Man jailed for 13 years for raping 18-year-old student in Exeter

The judge told him he was a ‘dangerous man with no desire to change’

CW: This article includes descriptions of rape.

A man has been convicted of raping an 18-year-old student in Exeter and sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Exeter Crown Court heard that Gheorge Bertlef, a 31-year-old from Exeter, attacked the teenager in Hoopern Lane on her way home from a club at 2.40am on November 13 2019, the Daily Mail has reported.

Judge Robert Linford told Bertlef he was a “dangerous man” after hearing he had spent weeks looking for lone women in Exeter, and jailed him for 13 years.

During the trial, the victim said she “shut down a bit and behaved like a robot” as Bertlef blocked her exit from an alley throughout the 30-minute attack.

The BBC reported she froze out of fear and did what her attacker asked whilst repeatedly asking to leave.

Eight days later he was arrested after police found him stalking a different woman in Exeter.

Judge Robert Linford told Bertlef it should have been “blindingly obvious she [the victim] didn’t want anything to do with you.”

He added: “You are a dangerous man with no desire whatsoever to change.”

Bertlef was jailed for jailed for 13 years for rape, with 10 to be served in prison and three on licence. He was also jailed for seven years concurrently for attempted rape, ordered to sign the sex offenders register for life, and will face deportation back to his home country of Romania upon his release.

If you’ve been affected by this story, Exeter Uni’s Wellbeing services can be found here, and Devon Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Services can be found here.