Covid cases around University of Exeter drop below 100

Finally some good news!!

The Pennsylvania and University region of Exeter has recorded less than 100 Covid-19 cases for the first time in over two weeks.

After rising to over 300 cases by October 10, Devon Live reports that numbers released on Monday showed cases had dropped to just 88.

Cases across Devon are slowly dropping as Central Exeter, which also previously recorded over 100 cases, is now down to just 36 confirmed cases of coronavirus.

St James’s Park & Hoopern, another area popular with students, has seen cases drop to just 22.

This comes after three weeks of Students being asked not to mix households, in addition to the other tier one coronavirus restrictions.

In an email to students and staff, the Exeter Uni registrar said: “There is good news this week that the number of new positive Covid-19 cases are beginning to fall in Exeter and we are beginning to contain the outbreak.

“The latest information on the Devon County Council website shows that in the 7 days up to 17th October there were 199 cases in Exeter with the majority within the university community.

“But we must not be complacent. The pandemic is not going away and therefore we must adapt and expect to change the way we live, work, study and socialise for the long-term.

“The last few weeks have shown us that we can prevent the spread of Covid-19 by following the advice of public health experts – give people space who are not in your household, wear a mask in crowded spaces and wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.

“If you have symptoms, get a test and isolate. If you test positive isolate for at least 10 days.”