Gone but not forgotten: Fashion in the Forum becomes Looks in Lockdown

Fashion in the Forum, Corona style

So you thought you’d seen the last of Fashion in the Forum? Well, you had.

Covid may have got everyone down, but one thing’s for sure: Everybody and their mum thinks they’re Anna Wintour now.

From charity shopping to online browsing, and an occasional trip down a Depop hole, us students have learnt how to dress over summer. You might not be able to show your Fashion in the Forum anymore, but we’re making sure that your Looks in Lockdown don’t go unnoticed.

This is Looks in Lockdown, satisfying all your Exeter fashion needs – socially distanced of course. From Levi’s to a dad’s old jumper, the Exeter streets have been blessed this week.

Take a look at our ten favourite looks to kick off the new academic year:

Nic, Second Year, Law (@nicjaalmac)

Nic’s look reflects his chill demeanour, as demonstrated by the neutral tones of his outfit. His Carhartt trousers are paired with New Balance trainers found on Ebay.

His beloved dad’s jumper can be seen under a fitted cord jacket, and his Ralph Lauren beanie completes the look, perfect for a quick trip to the beauty that is Sidwell’s.

Nic’s favourite piece is the cord jacket, because, to quote him: “It goes with everything, it suits me and it’s a nice colour.” His best lockdown purchase was his carpenter jeans from Carhartt because, “they look good with dad trainers and I hate skinny jeans.” Enough said.

Francesca, Second Year, Drama (@fran.burn)

Fran’s look in lockdown is one of her most comfortable outfits to wear out, because it’s easy to put together. A fan of reworked and vintage clothes, her jacket is from Harper and Lewis (a sustainable queen) and her jeans are vintage Levi’s.

As a Welshie, Fran is always repping the Valleys with her necklace and ring from Clogau, and her earrings from her stylish mum. Her top is from a much loved Exeter staple store, Urban Outfitters.

Fran credits this look to lockdown, as the student loan and her confidence came into clutch and she started experimenting more with different styles. As her top suggests from our shoot at the quay, lilac became a firm favourite colour within her wardrobe.

Oliver, Second Year, Politics (@_oliverparker_)

Oliver credits his lockdown look to being back home in London for six months i.e. The Basement London x Nike Air Max 90 trainers (it’s like he knew he was going to get papped).

His beanie and socks, which he claims cannot be forgotten, are Ralphy – this seems to be a trend with the boys. The t-shirt is Stussy and his hoodie, like his treasured trainers, is Nike.

Lucky for him, the Panavision London camera vest was a special gift which he thinks makes him look extra drippy. Another new purchase is his CP Company pouch.

Oliver claims his fashion sense hasn’t changed much during lockdown because he was, “doing up bummy before uni,” and still is because he, “loves a good pair of joggers.” Don’t blame him.

Lizzie, First Year, Philosophy (@lizzierailton)

Lizzie makes it very clear that this was not her lockdown look, but rather her best look.

Her oversized pink shirt is from Collusion – the finest part of the ASOS website, which she has paired chicly with her H&M sweater vest for this ‘sweater weather’. The Neighbourhood would be proud.

Only a few weeks into uni and she’s already proven herself to be a classic Exetah girl, and her wide legged jeans and creeper-style shoes are from Urban Outfitters.

Lizzie’s favourite lockdown purchase was an oversized Playboy hoodie, which shows how versatile she is in her approach to fashion. Who else wants to see a Playboy x Juicy Couture collab? Just us? Ok.

Miranda, Second Year, Maths (@mirandahanham, @madebymiz_)

Miranda admits to getting a bit “spending-mad” over lockdown and buying a ton of clothes. This motel rocks print dress was one that she didn’t get to wear enough in summer, and so to keep it casual for a daytime look she has layered a white top from Hollister underneath it. In private, however, she has confessed that her layering technique is really just to keep her warm.

In autumn and winter, Miranda claims that she will add her grandma’s hand-me-down faux fur jacket to any outfit because it makes her feel like a “bad b”. She finishes off her look with chunky boots for a bit of a change up from Air Force Ones.

Her stunning vintage Playboy bag is from Depop, and her jewellery is from an antique shop by the Quay. Over lockdown, Miranda really got into sewing and reworking clothes, so hit up her fashion account where you can see her creations.

She admits that her student loan has proved helpful in the last few months, if you know what she means.

Josh, Second Year, Law (@josh.watson_)

Josh is the definition of the arty boy whose clothes you always want to cop, which is why Gandy Street is the perfect location for our shoot. Made up of earthy tones, the outfit largely includes pieces from Carhartt – clearly another favourite, and a t-shirt bought at Exeter’s Loyle Carner concert last year.

Sadly not pictured (Josh has perfectly mastered the chill hands-in-pockets stance), his favourite item is a ring he bought in London’s Brick Lane.

His best lockdown purchase is a Carhartt corduroy jacket because “it’s a nice jacket.”

Rida, Second Year, Law (@rid.a)

Joining the hundreds of people queuing for their free Pret refill, Rida’s outfit adds a bit of excitement to Exeter high street.

Her top is Tala, which we bet was an automatic cop after Grace Beverley ~ graced ~ us with her presence on the Streatham campus earlier this year. The piece is accessorised with a necklace from Selfridges and paired with iconic orange Weekday trousers.

When asked what her favourite item is and why, Rida picks her trousers, quipping, “what do you mean ‘why’? Look at them.” She makes a fair point.

Her favourite lockdown purchase were the Nike shoes that she is wearing – she likes the style of Air Force Ones but wanted something a bit different.

Mac, Second Year, English and Drama (@_mac.adams_)

Mac’s look in lockdown was a family effort. Proud of his jeans as he should be (I mean, we want some), his sister got into bleaching designs on denim over summer and was kind enough to make him a pair. These compliment his bleached lockdown locks. His trainers are from DC, whose shoes are favourites for skaters and snowboarders.

Mac’s fashion sense has always been the same, and as is evident from his knitted jumper, he believes that the more patterns there are, the better. We couldn’t agree more.

Esmé, Second Year, Art History (@esme_lawton)

Standing outside Exeter’s favourite student pub: The Vic, Esmé’s winter colour palette compliments the pub’s exterior.

It comes as no surprise that her trousers and New Balance trainers are Depop buys, which she has paired with a white Zara top. Her oversized coat, which looks extremely comfortable, completes the outfit to make the perfect chilled but chic lockdown look. The coat is a hand-me-down from her mum, giving her even more points for sustainability.

Esmé tells us that her favourite lockdown purchase was a pair of white jeans, which I think the rest of the Exeter community can appreciate. Next time you’re at The Vic, see how many pairs of white trousers you can spot.

Amba, Second Year, Law (@ambahill)

Amba relaxed yet refined early evening look shows how well she is able to pair parts of her wardrobe based on colour. The whites in her Converse high tops, Zara jeans and Urban Outfitters top contrast the Turtle Bay exterior. The red, a very attractive colour, adds a perfect pop to her look.

Amba’s favourite lockdown purchase was a summery scarf top, which you can catch her wearing on a Fever Monday (at a social distance, of course). Scarf tops were definitely all the rage during lockdown.

This was your first edition of Looks in Lockdown, keep your eye out for more. If you want to show off your looks, contact us on Instagram @thetab.exeter.