More than half of the COVID-19 cases in Devon are linked to Exeter Uni

There have been 58 cases reported in the last seven days

Over half of Devon’s new COVID-19 cases are linked to the University of Exeter, as reported today by Public Health England.

Over the past seven days, 58 new cases have been reported in Devon, with a little over a half “attributable to the University.” However, in Cornwall on the Penryn campus, less than five cases have been identified.

The University’s partnership with Halo, the rapid testing system which uses a sample of saliva and provides results in 24 hours, means that these cases have been identified quickly and isolation rules have been put in place for those testing positive, as well as the people they have been in contact with.

Public Health England have analysed the cases and, according to the tweets on the University of Exeter twitter account by Mike Shore-Nye, Exeter’s registrar, their assessment is that “a number of students have arrived from their home towns and cities, carrying the infection with them.” Once they arrived for Welcome Week, this has been spread to housemates and close contacts.

Shore-Nye goes on to state that although “at this stage there is no evidence of wider community transmission,” it is not what was wanted by the University. He also acknowledges that, despite the reports of large student parties on campus, “the vast majority of our 25,000 students have behaved impeccably.”

Shore-Nye states that the “health and welfare of our students, staff and wider community will always be our number one priority.” They are working with Public Health and the Track and Trace program to share details of positive cases within the University.

The University of Exeter is also working with local health teams in order to continually communicate with students to ensure the COVID-19 Government rules are being followed at all times.