Confirmed: Lectures at Exeter University will be online in term one

‘The top priority will be the safety and wellbeing of our students’

Lectures at the University of Exeter will continue to be delivered online in term one, it has been confirmed.

In a comment to The Exeter Tab, a spokesperson for the University said online lectures will be supported by “face-to-face teaching in a safe environment.”

They added campus will reopen provided it is safe to do so, and the University is working to provide the “flexibility” for international students who will need to return in January.

The full response from the University reads: “Lectures will be delivered online or developed into guided online resources supported by face-to-face teaching in a safe environment.

“Our aim is to welcome as many new and returning students to the University of Exeter campuses as possible for the start of the autumn term.

“As long as it is safe to do so and with protective measures in place, we will open our campuses and enable access to facilities and face-to-face teaching combined with online learning.

“We anticipate that some international students will need to join us later or at the start of January and we are working hard to provide that flexibility.

“The top priority will be the safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and wider community and given the current Covid-19 situation it is likely that there will be restrictions on class size numbers and a need to offer a blend of online teaching, online independent learning and, when safe, on campus teaching.

“In learning and teaching, we are planning for flexibility and for resilience in our approach so that whatever the year brings we will provide students with the best possible opportunity to learn and thrive.

“We are making a major investment in digital learning and all programmes will be based on evidence and our rich experience of what works.

“We will provide students and applicants with more detail on our vision for teaching and learning in the weeks ahead.”