Image may contain: Person, Human, Apparel, Clothing

Exeter ranked third worst uni in UK for STIs

Students have unprotected sex an average of 12 times

Exeter has been ranked third on the list of UK universities where students are at most risk of contracting an STI.

Researchers have mapped STI hotspots across the UK and published a list of the top 25 unis where students are most at risk, with Exeter coming in at number three.

Exeter came shortly behind Durham, with the University of South Wales topping the list as the worst.

Image may contain: Document, Page, TextImage may contain: Document, Word, Page, Text

Online pharmacy Zava analysed 50 of the country's biggest unis and surveyed 1001 students. The scores were based on the quality and availability of information online, as well as the locations and opening hours of clinics.

The research showed that 33 of the UK’s largest universities don’t have a sexual health clinic open on weekends and only 12 have one that is open in the evenings. This could mean that students don't have time between lectures to attend an appointment.

Of the 50 universities analysed, almost half have clinics situated off campus, and of the 27 universities that do have on-campus clinics, 13 do not accept walk-in appointments.

It is predicted that students have unprotected sex an average of 12 times during their time at university.

The Exeter Student Health Centre advertises on it's website that private and confidential help, information and treatment is available at the surgery. They have nurses and doctors specifically trained in contraception, sexual health and sexually transmitted infections.

Freshers were welcomed to halls this year with a box of freebies, including vouchers for STI tests, condoms, emergency contraception and pregnancy tests.