Image may contain: Bed, Furniture, American Flag, Person, Face, Human, Symbol, Flag

Constant phone calls, endless packages and Nonna’s plates: coming to Exeter from a big Greek family

Let’s talk Grexit, not Brexit

Ah yes, the trials and tribulations of leaving your family behind when you move out and head to Uni is something we all know.

To those of us who have a non-English ancestry however, 4 hours down the M5 is nothing compared to when our grandparents emigrated to the UK in the first place; and yet it still seems too far away for them.

Image may contain: Flooring, Floor, Shoe, Clothing, Apparel, Footwear, Hardwood, Guitar, Musical Instrument, Leisure Activities, Human, Person, Wood

Even a Greek-style serenade couldn't get me to stay…

As the only daughter from a very large family of Greek Cypriots, it is safe to say they were dreading the day I sent off my UCAS application back in early 2017. Mostly because the only university I’d applied to close to home was KCL so there was an 80% chance I was flying the nest and heading West for real.

Even halfway through my degree, I still hear "Why didn’t you stay in London? Is it too late to change your mind?’’. Even more bizarrely, I often get: "Why didn’t you go to Cambridge, I would tell my friends my granddaughter went to Cambridge’’. To their dissatisfaction, I bleed green and live 4 hours away from home. But that hasn’t stopped them from coming with me (in spirit, anyway):

1. Greek kitchen knives

Any Greek Cypriots reading this will recognise Yiayia’s kitchen knives pictured below. If you didn’t bring these to Uni, you couldn’t possibly ever replicate her cooking.

Image may contain: Hardwood, Human, Person, Plywood, Wood

2. Nonna’s plates

It is often said that Greeks and Italians are cut from the same cloth (despite the anti-Mussolini propaganda we were taught at Greek school) and that has proven true in our uni house. We have acquired quite the Mediterranean dinner set with my Yiayia’s knives and my housemate’s Nonna’s plates.

Image may contain: Saucer, Home Decor, Furniture, Dish, Food, Meal, Art, Pottery, Porcelain, Human, Person

3. 'I’ll just send you some stuff'

Anyone who lives with me knows I receive more deliveries than anyone. Although admittedly sometimes it's the product of my online shopping addiction, more often than not it's unnecessary packages from home.

Image may contain: Carton, Cardboard, Box, Diaper, Human, Person, Glasses, Accessories, Accessory

4. 'You have to call everyday'

This one needs little explanation. Even though I only live in Exeter, my family would believe I’ve moved halfway around the world with no means of communication.

Image may contain: Page, Text

5. 'She’s lost weight again, who is cooking for her?'

It is actually very rare that university students slim down during term time. But, even if I’d put on the pounds, my family would be convinced I was starving myself and that I can't actually cook. To dispel these concerns, I have to send pictures to the family group chat of food I’ve both cooked and consumed.

Image may contain: Plant, Seasoning, Food

6. 'You’ll give us special price?'

Hopefully, you read that in the thickest Greek accent possible. I might be studying a Law degree but I am far from being a practicing solicitor at the age of 20. Regardless, it looks like I’ll be working for mates rates only in the future.

7. 'Are your friends Greek?'

Unsurprisingly, studying in Exeter means the answer to this is "no, they're not". However, this is not exclusive to my family. In Fresher's week my friend’s mum befriended another Italian mother in the Penny C car park and forced their daughters to become friends, purely on the basis they were both Italian.

Image may contain: Cafeteria, Meal, Chair, Furniture, Table, Dining Table, Food, Food Court, Restaurant, Human, Person

If you've seen the film, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', I'm sure you didn't think it would be so non-fictional. But, alas, it is. As they say ''telegram, telegraph, tell-a-Greek,'' so you think you can move away to uni and be free of them? You've got it totally wrong.

But, would you really have it any other way?