Image may contain: Text, Food, Vegetable, Broccoli, Plant, Person, Human

Five ways to complete Veganuary when you live in a house of meat eaters

New year new me and all that

Here it is, that time of year again. After eating one too many pigs in blankets and consuming well over your daily limit of alcohol that cyclical feeling of, "new year, new me" starts to fill our Instagram news feeds.

Move over dry January, this year Veganuary takes centre stage.

A record number of people have joined this campaign in 2019, with 14,000 people alone signing up on the 31st December.

If you have joined these ranks as part of your New Year’s resolution and are committed to finding that Gwyneth Paltrow glow then here are some tips of what not to do when living in a uni house.

1. Never, and I mean never, preach about veganism

Image may contain: Grazing, Angus, Bull, Ranch, Pasture, Rural, Meadow, Farm, Countryside, Nature, Outdoors, Field, Grassland, Mammal, Cow, Animal, Cattle

First things first, your meat-eating house mates do not care that an innocent cow had to die for them to eat their spag bol, and they definitely do not care about it being “sooo much better for your health”. Meat is not murder to them, so leave them ignorant and oblivious, much like the slaughtered cow they are munching on.

2. Do not compare your meat free meal with theirs – they won’t think it tastes better

Image may contain: Face, Bar Counter, Pub, Night Life, Human, Person

Although you might think your Deliciously Ella vegan lasagne tastes 10x better than a meat one, I can guarantee your housemates will not agree. Even if they did, they would never admit it. So when your next in Firehouse tucking into their vegan pizza, if you could even call it a pizza, expect to take a doggy bag home as you'll be struck with silence when uttering the usually popular phrase, "does anybody want a slice?" Nobody wants to have a mouthful of unmelted cheese on dough thrust in their face whilst they eat their pepperoni cheesy pizza with extra garlic mayo dip. Just something to bear in mind.

3. Refrain from mentioning your glowing skin and abundance of energy

Image may contain: Bottle, Clothing, Apparel, Human, Person

If they comment on either of the above, give a polite “thank you”, and return the favour. Do not make reference to the fact that scary dairy can give you more spots or sap your energy – you're a student, everyone should be accepting a lower version of health. I mean if you're not wheezing when you reach the top of forum hill are you even doing uni right?

4. Your Linda McCartney vegan essentials should take up minimal room in the freezer

Image may contain: Face, Female, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

Frozen vegan food that actually tastes good? Understandably it can be easy to get carried away with buying in bulk these packets of prime veggie sausages, no one can create vegan culinary masterpieces every night. But keep the freezer hoarding to a minimum and preferably out of sight, and when it comes to the fridge, try and only buy one dairy free milk at a time.

5. NEVER admit you are craving meat

Image may contain: Food Court, Plywood, Restaurant, Food, Wood, Dining Table, Table, Furniture, Human, Person

The one phrase your non-vegan friends are eagerly waiting for. Never admit to them, especially on a night out, that you are craving meat or dairy. You may think they are being supportive but soon enough you’ll be outside that Timepiece van ordering a chicken burger with a side of cheesy chips that according to them, you demanded. Once you’ve given into this fried meaty goodness there will most definitely be picture evidence, and don’t even try and claim to be a flexitarian, no one can turn back from that.

If all of the above fails, move to Brighton, you’ll be living in the majority there.