Exeter is the fifth best uni in the country for dealing with mental health

According to our 2017 Mental Health Rankings

Hide Images

Exeter is the fifth best university in the country for dealing with mental health, according to the results of our 2017 Mental Health Rankings.

The rankings also revealed only three universities spent more per student than Exeter on their counselling and wellbeing services.

It's one of the biggest issues on campus and it's time to tackle it. Knowing that there is support on offer if and when we need it is a key part of managing mental health issues on campus.

The Tab's Mental Health Rankings 2017 is the only study to assess UK universities' ability to care for students with mental health issues. Now in it's second year, the rankings cover 47 universities across the country.

Within this, information is pulled together about how well universities fund their counselling and wellbeing services, how long students have to wait for help, and how satisfied students are with their university's mental health services.

This year over 9,000 students completed our mental health survey, and told us about their experiences.

Universities have a duty of care for their students, and mental health falls squarely under this. With many univeristies under performing in this area we're aiming to paint the truest picture of mental health at university, and how it's handled.

The survey revealed that only three universities spent more per student on mental health than Exeter, and six spent more per applicant to the university’s services.

Our findings show that Exeter spent £38.62 per student, above the national average of £22.06, and £475.91 per applicant on mental health, above the average of £334.28. As a result, Exeter's finance score came out as 28.64 of a possible 40 (the national average being 17.29.)

In terms of student satisfaction, Exeter was ranked seven out of 47 in our survey. Exeter scored an impressive 37.62 of a possible 40, against a national average of 34.55. As well as this, of the 15 universities to return data for length of waiting times, Exeter came fourth.

Overall, Exeter came fifth in the rankings for dealing with its students' mental health.