These boys want to set up a Friends society at Exeter

They’ll be there for you

Sitting with Matt Hill, a second year computer science and maths student, in the Grove. He welcomes me with a friendly smile and tells me about his ambition. He wants to set up a Friends society.

Matt.

What made you want to set up the society? 

I found that in my first year it felt like I lost my identity a bit. I joined a few societies at the beginning of the year but I didn’t really feel involved within the societies. So I was sitting watching friends with my friend Tom one day and thought why hasn’t this been made into a society yet? We started thinking of all the socials we could do and decided to see what you needed to do in order to set up a society. Before finishing uni, I want to feel a big part of something, I would be the president of the society.

What would you say to people who want to join the society?

It’s basically for people who have a love of friends who want to come and meet other like minded people. There will be loads of themed socials and events, so it will be great fun.

What sort of events are you planning?

Themed pub quizzes and scavenger hunts. Games nights and big night out socials. I’m a big fan of cheesies, so would love to organise a social for that, as I’m well aware they play the theme tune! I was looking at a bigger event, such as going to the UK tour of friends fest if it happens again this year.

What could go down at friends fest

How far along in the process are you of setting up the society? 

So far, I got a committee together and we have the right amount of signatures needed to take it to the next stage of doing a pitch in front of the Guild. If everything goes well we were hoping to get the society ready in time for the freshers fair in September 2017. I wanted to get the word out to more people about the society so if it all goes ahead, they are aware of when you would be able to join.

I also spoke to Tom Roberts, who is planning on becoming general secretary.

Tom.

What made you want to be on the friends committee? 

So I wanted to join as it’s a show I’ve loved for years, and I’m looking forward to helping start a society which has such a wide potential for social events through screenings and themed socials which will hopefully have great appeal for anyone who is a huge fan of the show, a casual watcher or someone who wants to meet a new group of people in a fun and relaxed environment.

If you are interested in speaking to Matt about the society you can contact him via:

Email: [email protected]

Or phone number 07805551035