Last night’s stabbing in Exeter: How the events unfolded

A ‘very dangerous man’ was apprehended by Devon police just before midnight

Last night in Exeter, helicopters circulated overhead in pursuit of a 39-year-old man who had allegedly stabbed a 30-year-old man on Leighton road. The incident was made up of “vehicle pursuits, foot chases, arrests for attempted murder [and] GBH”. He was described as “a very dangerous man” by Devon Police, and is now in custody.

False claims circulated on twitter that he had escaped from prison and had stabbed several people. The police condemned these rumours and confirmed that it was a “domestic incident” and the public and students are not at risk.

Here’s how the events unfolded:

Sunday 9:50pm – Police are called to Leighton Terrace, Exeter, on Sunday night, just before 10pm.

Leighton Terrace is just off York Road – near St Sidwell’s CE Primary School & Nursery and Exeter’s Mosque. This is also considered to be a student area, dominated by rentals.

11:00pm – At roughly 11 pm unfounded rumours started to circulate with students claiming to have heard helicopters surveying the city. Nothing was confirmed. Suspected locations included Wells Street, Leighton Terrace, Springfield Road.  Students were warned to stay indoors and to avoid the areas in question.

11:34pm – The National Police Air Service Exeter tweeted a heat map image of the suspect hiding in a wooded area.

11:45pm  – Police representative Marcus Laine takes to Twitter to state that the event was “domestic” and that the public body was no in danger. He also tweets that an arrest has been made.

Monday 12:15am – BBC journalist, Hamish Marshall tweets that one person has been stabbed and injured with an arrest being made to the stabber in question. He adds that the police are currently investigating further and looking for a weapon. It is also believed, at this point, that the victim has been taken to hospital.

Monday 8:00am – According to sources a 46-year-old man from the Exeter area was arrested and is currently being held in custody. It is believed that he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in the Leighton Terrace area.

Leighton Terrace, Exeter : Google images

Unlike previously believed, this was not a case of multiple stabbings, as reported on social media.

A thirty-year old man is said to be in hospital after last night’s incidents but his injuries are not said to be life-threatening. The case has been described as “domestic” and the Howell Road area of the city remains cordoned off by a police guard.

University of Exeter

The Tab Exeter

last seen today at 02:52

Get Exeter news straight to your WhatsApp

To find out how to get EGB tickets, the latest SU scandals and what not to do in EX4. Straight into your DMs. 😘