Cabinet Minister and Exeter alum Sajid Javid comes to campus

And takes selfies with students on Forum Hill

Exeter Conservative students welcomed senior government minister and Exeter alumnus Sajid Javid to Exeter last week for a high profile meeting and tour around campus.

The Minister exclusively met members of the Exeter University Conservative Association in Reed Hall before having a tour around campus. This was preceded by a visit from Chris Grayling, Transport Secretary, the night before.

In the lively Q&A featuring Javid and Johnny Mercer MP there was a discussion of a wide number of issues, notably Javid’s experiences at the Lemmy.

After entering the Forum, it became clear Javid was a classic Exeter student as he sipped on coffee from Pret flanked by members of EUCA, stopping for selfies.

As a former member of EUCA, Sajid helped take the NUS to the European Court of Human Rights over forced membership through affiliated student unions.

Sajid, who is tipped by many to be a future Prime Minister, graduated with a degree in Economics and Politics from Exeter in 1991, before, at aged 24, becoming the youngest ever Vice President at Chase Manhattan Bank. He then turned to politics and has held positions as the Culture Secretary and the Business Secretary.

The Conservative association regularly hosts MP government ministers with Gavin Barwell (Minister for Housing and Planning) visiting the university earlier this term.

The Association can also exclusively inform The Tab, that the infamous Jacob Rees-Mogg MP will meet members in early November.

This article was written with the Exeter University Conservative Association.