The struggles of being left-handed

It’s a right-handed world…

Lefties represent 10 per cent of the population. We are outnumbered, but by no means inferior.

However, we are faced with daily challenges you right handed buggers wouldn’t have even known existed. Here are just a few:

Ring binders are THE worst 

Where are we supposed to rest our hands when writing on the left hand side?

Forget writing in the margins

Yes, our hands look funny when we write

Think you’re the first person to point that out?

We have to be versatile 

It’s because we are innate adapters. Our hands are often forced (pun intended) into uncomfortably awkward positions. The struggle is a daily one.

Smudges

The nemesis of every leftie. The ink pen days at school were excruciatingly painful, and our books resembled ink battlefields, with countless yellow stains from bargain ink erasers.

Which, incidentally, an ink-pen wielding leftie would always have had an excessive supply of in their pencil case back in the day.

Being forever alone in tennis lesson drill queues

Because we always had to do things the opposite way round to everyone else.

Pen choice is key

A surprising number of ordinary biros are deceptively smudgey…

Oh, and when we find a pen that doesn’t smudge, don’t expect us to lend it to you. We’re clinging onto that bad boy for dear life.

People hate sitting next to us in lectures

We spend our lives apologising for accidentally encroaching on our neighbours’ ‘zone’, or worse yet, for accidentally jolting them while in frantic writing mode.

BUT being a leftie isn’t all that bad

We are united in our uniqueness, have enhanced creativity and on average higher IQs. If this isn’t enough, we have Obama in our midst.

We just have to hope Hebrew becomes the globally dominant written language sometime soon…