Drama students are not all like Sharpay from High School Musical

Don’t hate us because you’re not as interesting

When people think of Drama students they think of annoying, arrogant and loud brats, but really only a few are like this.

A stereotypical drama class

There has always been a common stigma around Drama Students. As soon as someone says “I do Drama” instant horror comes over the other person’s face as they automatically push them into the box of selfish, irritating weird people.

A lot of Drama students hate musicals. They come in various shades and sizes but definitely not all in that box. Yet it is undeniable but they are all slightly more quirky than everyone on campus.

The next Angelina Jolies in the gym

Yes, it is just inevitable in Exeter that there are going to be Gym/fitness freaks and yep Drama has them to. Yet Drama Gym freaks love their bodies and make it obvious. Their make up is always perfect and they look more like they have just come back from a photo shoot than the gym. They make everyone feel very unhealthy and anxious about their fitness, and give you a look that could kill in practical breaks when you sneakily snack on a bag of crisps. These are the Drama students who want to be the next Angelina Jolie, and want everyone to know it.

Classic gym mirror selfie plastered over social media

The campus celebrities

These are a rare and beautiful breed, who radiate dazzling gems as they walk through campus. They are the celebrities of the place, everyone knows them and everyone wants to know them (even people not from Drama). But stop right there, no they are not your stereotypical stuck up bitches who every wants to kill.

They are eloquent about it, giving a little wave or smile as they pass by all their followers. These people always get good roles in plays, and are always busy, so chances of tackling them down are remote. You definitely will not find them regularly in TP like the majority of the university. 

Beautiful smiles there

The prodigies involved in everything

Now this breed slightly verges on the “stereotype” because they always seem to be in some play or production or film or something. They audition for everything and are everywhere. You most certainly will find them near the front row of a lecture and are always the ones to answer the questions and seem to know what they are talking about.

These are the quirky ones who somehow can pull off wearing floral tights effortlessly and you stare at with slight confusion/awe as they bounce around campus.

Casual pose from Tiago and May

Fresh from their gap yah

Now this group is definitely not your stereotype. They often intertwine with the Really Talented Ones, but they don’t need to be in a show to be known. A lot of them sit at the back of a lecture, have really indie Instagram accounts, and get away with wearing snapbacks and looking cool. And there are people like this all over campus.

Yet the Drama versions are so much more assertive about their presence, they just ooze sophistication over every other subject which makes everyone else in the university wish they have that kind of cool confidence. So no, not all Drama students are eager or weird, just half.

The intimidatingly beautiful ones

This lot are often not very loud at all, however when you do see them about you instantly regret the decision of wearing tracksuit bottoms to the practical. Their profiles on Instagram and Facebook kill you each time they pop onto your timelines, and you secretly hope that one day maybe you will look like them.

They are effortlessly beautiful, and don’t need to brag about it. Everyone from every course wishes they looked like them, and everyone definitely has chosen them as their library crush at some point.

They all just don’t give a shit

This breed is far from Sharpay. They do not care what people think, they just have fun. Yes sometimes they can be a little weird, but most people don’t even notice. They party, they work, they sleep, they just enjoy life. They embrace the oddness that everyone seems to cover up on campus, and are happy in their own skin.

So there you go, the majority are not anywhere near High School Musical. So the next time you meet a Drama student, do not put them in that box. They come in many boxes, only common thing is they like Drama and are much more quirky than you.