Does Exeter have a stereotype?

Other unis seem to think we’re all posh and fit

Exeter seems to have a fairly damning stereotype that continues to crop up at universities across the country.

For example, we were recently described in an article as being “in the middle of nowhere, that wishes it was Bristol, Leeds or Manchester, but will sadly never get there, as its students are stuck EGing and bolting like 16 year olds…trying so hard to be edgy.”

I asked a number of people from different universities what comes to mind when Exeter University is mentioned to try and garner if this critical stereotype is unanimous.

Will from Oxford

Britain’s brightest

“Mostly public school people who all do geography and love wearing chinos and spend a ludicrous amount on food (e.g dominoes thrice weekly) just cause they can. However, also bloody good at rugby and chocked full attractive girls.”

Hollie from Birmingham

“When someone says Exeter to me, I just think of an overgrown private school..”

Sam from UWE

“I think of Exeter as the south’s version of Durham but with slightly more interesting people.”

Sam from Cardiff

Not an actual reflection of how cool Sam is

“Couldn’t get into Oxford, Cambridge or Durham… People from Exeter ask what school you go to, I don’t think they know what a college is”

Niamh from Nottingham

Looks like Niamh may fit in down here…

“Coloured chords, rugby boys in flip flops, mini made in Chelsea and outrageous ski trips.”

Marcus from Cambridge

“When someone says Exeter I immediately think Sexeter . A very liberal uni where expression is enticed out of even the most reserved of students. Also think you’re all quite horny.”

So, it appears the writing is on the proverbial wall for us. We fairly unanimously elicit the distinct Exeter stereotype of  a sexually charged, chino wearing, rugby obsessed student body that are likely to both out bolt you, and feel more at home than you in front of a caviar and horse cock mezze platter.

This external perception of Exeter, combined with the “poorer background” statistics released yesterday, make any attempt at a counter argument seem futile. However, it is unfair to suggest that we at Exeter strive to be anything other than what we are.

Yes, we are on the whole an affluent collection of students, and yes, we may spend a shit tonne on nouveau- edgy Urban Outfitters gear, but I don’t think this is any more pretentious than any other middle-class dominated university anywhere in the country. It’s just the way it is.

Is anyone genuinely edgy? Do we simply thrive off the reputations of the cities we inhabit? Just because Leeds has a high crime rate and some decent clubs,  it doesn’t make Marlborough educated Archie and his mates  fucking road men.

I believe that at Exeter, we happily embrace what we’ve got in our meth-addict riddled city and that’s what makes it great.