Supreme Court’s Lord Neuberger praises enthusiasm of Exeter students after visit

He liked us a lot

Lord Neuberger, the president of the supreme court of the United Kingdom, visited Exeter on Friday, to speak to over a hundred students in the Forum.

During the talk he hit on topics such as his distinguished legal career, advice for prospective lawyers, be they solicitors or barristers, and the lack of diversity within the supreme court.

The lord

Equality is an issue Lord Neuberger is particularly passionate about, more specifically gender equality. Whilst he is against gender quotas, he did wish to see the number of women in the supreme court increase.

Unfortunately due to his busy schedule we were only allowed to ask two questions, but he was very forthcoming with his responses.

Do you have much experience with Exeter graduates, or the university in general?

I have had very little direct experience of Exeter University, but I have known some people who were here. But having been here today, I now wish I’d had more experience, because there was a great turnout today, with great questions and great enthusiasm.

Talking to the students and the academics, I was very impressed with what they had to say. I hope going forward, I will have great experience with them.

In the forum, looking happy

How do you think our culture has changed since you were a student, more specifically with regard to free speech?

It’s curious how in some ways, life has become more liberal. When I was at university, there were boy’s colleges, and girl’s colleges, and if a girl was caught in a boy’s college after midnight, or even worse, a boy in a girl’s college, it would be a serious situation.

People were more formal in their dress, and had more respect for their professors. However, there was much more tolerance for free speech. In most ways, things have got better, there is less exaggerated respect, students are treated as adults.

I think the downside is what you said, there is this worry that you can’t say things that will offend people, I think that’s dangerous, it undermines free speech. Freedom to only say things that don’t offend isn’t very valuable.

This fear is somewhat exaggerated, there have been few instances that I’m aware of, that have successfully shut down free speech. It is not an absolute exercise, we all accept that you shouldn’t be free to incite racial hatred, or to stand in a crowded room and shout ‘fire!’.

Freedom of speech has to be curtailed, but it is a question of to what extent. Some of the cases are a little worrying, but I don’t want to give the impression I’m losing sleep over it.

Discussing the Donald Trump ban was ridiculous, but I believe it had to be debated due to the number of signatures. But for a start it plays straight into his hands and gives him the publicity he desires.