If you could go back to first year what would you do differently?

‘Try not to have sex in the cathedral park’

Listen up fresh, a handful of Exeter’s finest share their top tips and biggest regrets, to ensure you make the most of your university days.

Monica, Habib and Mikhaile, final year and Masters

Don’t worry about what other people might think.

Do what you want to do in first year, cos it’s all fun and games. Until you decide to have sex in the cathedral park. Don’t have sex in the cathedral park. A lot of tramps will be judging you.

Don’t commit to a relationship too early on. If you feel it’s a stupid decision, it is one.

Don’t be afraid to be a BNOC. But it may come back to bite you in the ass when you’re just too damn popular to study.

James, second year, Geography

Don’t drink too much and do very stupid things you’ll regret.

Ross, second year, International Relations

Explore Exeter more.

Make the most of the town – what’s the point of being confined to the uni?

There’s so much more to Exeter than campus.

Get a railcard, do the Topsham 10, take a thermos flask to Exmouth beach and make sure someone loses odds to jump in the sea.

Don’t worry about work. It just gets more, and worse. 

Beric and Emma, second year

Oh my God, whatever you do don’t go to Mosaic every week at 8.30pm to queue.

Why bother? Go late. Pres won’t be rushed, you may even squeeze some prep for tomorrow’s seminar in.

Actually… No….Keep up the keenness so us second years can go later and avoid the queues.

Nishad, second year, English
Never set foot in the Lemmy ever again. Why would you put yourself through that?

Build up good friendships and enjoy every moment.

Em, Olivia and Tam, first year

Grab yourself a wrap from El Comida in Devonshire House.

If you haven’t yet, my god you’re in for a treat. It took me far too long to realise the place even existed.

Be on your library booth game.

Work out the prime time and get in there before it’s too late.

Tommy, second year, French and Spanish

Get involved with everything you possibly can, and don’t stress too much about work.

Find what interests you and get stuck in.

Try new things – what’s there to lose?

Socialise more, enjoy the year while it lasts, at the end of the day, it doesn’t count towards your degree