Why walk when you could boogie?

Calling all lovers of Funk

Flowering from the bodacious minds of some of our very own Med students comes ‘Don’t Walk, Boogie’; a night truly like no other. These unlikely heroes fuse 60’s-70’s funk, 80’s disco, 90’s R&B, and just a smidge of soulful house to bring you that eclectic mix of sounds you didn’t even know you were missing.

We sat down with the creators of Exeter’s hottest new club night, who sold out 180 tickets in the space of two hours for their latest groove-a-tron. Mark, Guy, Alfie, and DJ extraordinaire Paddy, gave us the low-down on their disco revival.

So where did it all begin? Founding fathers Guy and Alfie were on their way to the MedSoc Summer Ball, banging out a bit of Funk on a portable speaker, when they unearthed a gap in Exeter’s clubbing scene. The good vibes sparked drunken promises that survived until morning, and it wasn’t long before their buddy Mark got involved. And so a “half-joke”, that Guy claims to not even remember, turned into a “why not?”

With Alfie manning the soundcloud, Mark handling the DJs and equipment, and Guy as the glorified “receptionist”, or self-described “fucking backbone”, their humble idea took shape. But, just like their events, these roles aren’t fixed.

They each get involved with every aspect of the process, and even before it got off the ground they had a host of volunteers eager to get involved: offering ideas for the decorations, set designs and graphics. Shout out to Caitlin and Oli for decorating, Alfie says it “wouldn’t look the way it does without you”.

All that was left to decide was the all-important name. Coincidentally, Alfie had been sifting through Exeter’s charity shops in search of a record for his housemate’s vinyl collection, when he stumbled across Don’t Walk, Boogie. This 1978 album, costing only 99p, was full of gems like T. Rex’s I Love to Boogie and Sylvester’s You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real). Stuck on Alfie’s bedroom wall, it only took his housemate pointing up in answer to the question “what should we call it?” for it to be decided.

At first glance the glitter, tie-dye, and oversized Adidas might seem like the obligatory style. But when asked about their ‘dress code’ (jokes about “no trainers” aside) the boys promised that they have none. In fact they have no ‘set’ type of audience: “the edginess is completely optional” (Alfie).

All it comes down to is Good Vibes not simply “blokes in weird shirts”, “that’s why we came up with it in the first place” (Guy). So whether that means throwing on your waviest garms or simply rocking up in jeans and a tee, having fun is all that matters. And it is this mentality that has attracted a devout following of fun-loving and friendly individuals, or perhaps it’s just the free glitter and Polaroids.

DJ Paddy

The only thing funkier than the clothing? The music. With each DJ bringing their own style to the Old School classics, featuring favourites from the 90’s right back to the 60’s, funk lovers are spoilt for choice. In the unlikely event that you don’t know all the words you won’t be able to resist boogieing to the banging disco tunes. And have no fear if your moves aren’t up to par, as “shameless dancing” is the focus of the night; “people are just having fun and not only going through the motions”(Boogier).

For the killer sounds you can thank, in part, resident DJ Paddy proclaimed people pleaser. Already a budding name on the club scene, having landed his first gig with Mahatma and continuing on to work with HiFidelity and Up and Coming, the trio were “keen to get him involved” (Mark). The fellow medic described how he had bumped into the boys on campus whilst they were holding their first meeting and, having the experience and know-how, imparted some of his event wisdom.

Now a familiar face under the disco ball, he appreciates the freedom he is allowed with his set, given “a rare opportunity to play vinyl”. While some of the other DJ’s favour new sounds, Paddy opts for a blend of famous classic re-edits, incorporating his soulful house background.  But whether he’s dropping ‘I Want You Back’, ‘I’m Every Woman’, or his current fav ‘Let the Sun Shine’, rest assured that the crowd will be dancing like maniacs and singing their hearts out (whether in—or out—of tune).

Caitlin and Oli

We asked the boys to pick out their favourite club grooves, resulting in Mark bringing up their soundcloud as a backing track to the rest of interview. Paddy chose Sylvester’s ‘Over and Over’, for Guy it’s all about ‘Haven’t You Heard’ by Patrice Rushen, Alfie prefers James Brown’s ‘Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine’ and the highlight of any night for Mark is when Diana Ross’ legendary ‘I’m Coming Out’ is played.

When asked about the best nights in Exeter, Alfie and Mark listed  ‘Our House’ at Cavern, Mosaic’s ‘Dirty Beats’ and the DJ Showcases at Phoenix, but Guy insisted that “none” really interested him. They describe Don’t Walk, Boogie, however, as “impossible not to like”.

Taking influence from events like Cirque du Soul and Magic Hatstand, the boys found a way to throw themselves the ultimate party. A true showcase of vibrance and groove, the new night has really taken off and Alfie admits that they “enjoy the events more than everyone else”. Although it is still early days, the boys promise some exciting “things in the pipeline” but are keeping us in suspense. Seeking only a consistent following and with all the profits going back into the set-up, who knows where they’re headed.         

(from left to right) Guy, Alfie and Mark

Upcoming Events: 1st December will be another Classic D.W.B. Tickets are available on the door for £5.

And if you don’t manage to wrangle your way in, on 5th December the boys will be bringing their own brand of funk to Phoenix’s ‘Christmas DJ Showcase’ (Tickets from £8).

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Dont-Walk-Boogie-1470940053207566/?fref=ts

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-619946434/sets/dwbs-jams-vol-1