Old Lafrowda is a loveable shithole

The beauty is in the imperfection

Old Lafrowda is the older brother who is constantly outshined by his younger, better looking sibling. Despite its flaws – of which it has many – there is a certain charm about the cheap-by-Exeter-standards halls. It all begins with the colour scheme of the outside. The green and grey just sets the tone for what delights await you inside.

Once you get past the manually operated door that is. Touching doors other people have touched? How niche.

Inside, you see how old school it is when the bins don’t even have lids, resulting in a delightful odour of bin juice throughout the flat. Therefore, you have to get super smashed at pre-drinks to even make it through the stench.

It is close to the Lemmy though, so it’s still in a better location than your posh friends living the life of luxury in Holland or Penny C.

Holland hallers wouldn’t be seen dead here

But God help you when it reaches the stage at pre-drinks where you have to break the seal. This phrase no doubt instigates fear into many people. This is made approximately 1000 times worse when you realise you must face a shared bathroom.

This is simple, communal living in its purest form – no one can accuse you of being pampered.

Barely enough room to swing a pot of hummus in here

The situation isn’t that bad, as long as your flatmates are as considerate as you. The problem comes when you get landed with flatmates that are anything less than clean.

The space situation is unique: two people can’t really fit past each other in a corridor comfortably, but this constant proximity to flatmates does have it’s advantages. It results in a communal feel that is unmatched in other halls, such as Holland, or in the arse end of nowhere, Point Exe.

The interior design is… rustic.

The lack of carpets in the stairways gives the building a minimalist charm.

Brick is so in this year

Steeped in history, these halls were created in a time gone by when plastering was obviously not even invented.

The somewhat prison-like walls make the place just the right temperature. Bloody freezing in Winter, and perfect for snuggling up to your ll atoo familiar flatmates and piling on the jumpers. Cosy.

That being said, safety seems to come first in Old Lafrowda – there is never a time when the echoes of fire alarms from these blocks can’t be heard.

As if this wasn’t all enough, they have to look through their windows each day at shiny new accommodation, always wondering how the other half live.

They’re not too jealous however, because they can always make a bit more mess and with the low rent can ultimately afford more booze for pre-drinks.

Why must you always be better?

Old Lafrowda may not have Moët and caviar, but it’s stood the test of time. The wiser, older sibling.