Meet Exeter’s best mountain biker who has competed at the World Cup

He jumps over 70 foot kickers

As we meet in the Vic, Josh Lowe seems like any ordinary Geography second year, ordering a Carlsberg at the bar and talking about his recent field trip to look at some rivers. It is only when you talk to him in detail you realise he is in fact, quite extraordinary.

Josh Lowe – Looking rad

How did you get into the sport?

Oh good question, all of my family have been into cycling, so I guess it started when my brother came back and told me about some jumps he did, and I thought I’d try it out.

How long have you been cycling for?

Since I was about three and I’ve been racing since 12.

So, who’s the best person in Exeter apart from you?

I’m lucky to go a university with a good mountain biking club and it’s full of great riders, but if I had to say, I guess Owen and Charlie, the club captains probably, they’re really good.

Success for Josh

How did you get sponsored? And more importantly, do you get any free stuff?

That’s a bit of a long story, but on my first time doing regional races, I was riding a steep technical section and caught the attention of the head coach of B1ke coaching, and he said I wanna help you get to where you wanna get to.

So I started with a bit of coaching and then he brought along a guy from Ancillotti Bikes, and ever since then I’ve moved through sponsors. My current sponsor is Solid Reverse Factory Racing, and yeah they’ve supported me throughout the season, giving me race support and the best bikes.

Josh with his team

Town or the Lemmy on a Saturday night?

I haven’t been to the Lemmy in ages, so I guess I’d say town.

Not scared of the locals?

Nah, they’re fine, and what is the Lemmy now, like five pounds to get in, someone needs to sort that out. To be honest, I’ll just go wherever the party’s going.

What is your perfect Sunday?

Depends if it’s in the season or not. In season, a sick race would be rad, off-season, a good surf.

So, when’s the season?

It’s about Easter time, through to late September.

He’s got his name on his jersey and everything

You say on Facebook that you get annoyed when Miley Cyrus has a Party in the USA and you’re not invited, is this a big issue for you?

I don’t really know what to say to that, I guess it is a bit annoying.

Do you think now that you’re sponsored you’re more likely to get an invitation?

I’d hope so.

Are you a low or an easy rider?

I’d say easy, I am pretty chilled.

If you go away for a dirty weekend, does it have to involve downhill biking?

Not necessarily, a good surf would do, but a bit of biking would probably help.

A dirty weekend sans biking

What’s been your gnarliest bail?

A few years ago I hit a stump and my handlebars turned, and one went through my thigh, it was only a few millimeters from my artery. I didn’t even realise until I stood up and there was blood all down my leg, so that was pretty scary. I’ve had to be ambulanced away a few times as well.

Does all this crashing not hurt?

Yeah crashing sucks but it’s all part of the sport and unfortunately I always seem to end up on my head.

What’s your raddest stunt?

Well, as I said, I mainly do races, so there’s not much time for tricks but I do go over some big kickers, like seventy foot, but my aim is to just cross the line. When you’ve been racing for four minutes, you don’t want to cock up because you’re showing off.

So what’s the best you’ve done in a tournament?

I’ve finished top twenty in the European cup, and top eighty in the world cup. I’d like to break into the top ten at the world cups, I think I’m getting better and better so that should happen at some point. Obviously I’m doing my degree in case it doesn’t all pan out, but I hope it will.

Being a Speedy Gonzales

How do your parents feel about you doing all this extreme sport?

They’re really supportive, my Dad comes to all my races, but my Mum still can’t watch.