Meet the man behind the SSB

He’s got some fairly classic stories, as you can imagine

The Safer Sex Ball is a staple of Exeter life. What other event gives you such a chance to show off the rewards of your endless hours in the gym? Pierre G H Keyzar is running the event this year and The Tab got to interview him.

Squad on point

How long have you been organising the Safer Sex Ball?

So the Safer Sex Ball is now in its 21st year, however this is the second year in which The Enchanted Group will be running SSB, after its brief hiatus, continuing the charitable ethos of the event.

What’s the charitable ethos you mentioned?

The Safer Sex ball has a long history of donating funds to the local HIV and sexual health charity – The EddyStone Trust – these funds directly support local people living with and affected by HIV. They also work with young people in schools, colleges and universities, offer a programme of training and education for professionals and outreach and prevention work.

The funds are essential to the charity and enable it to deliver interventions and campaigns and reach further in the Exeter and Devon area.

Fleek

How did the dynamic work last year with competing SSBs?

There was no cooperation with the other event last year. Whilst the EddyStone Trust were open to working with both parties, the other event company never contacted them nor did they end up donating any money to charity so were only running the event for their own gain.

Very Rio

What do you think is the main difference now you run it, compared to when the guild ran it?

I think the main difference is being unrestricted. While the university had a strict set of guidelines, as an external company, we pretty much have a blank canvas. That and our combined experience in events management which helps with such big events. The university did a good job all things considered, though. It’s no easy task putting this event together.

Do you remember the best outfit you saw last year?

That’s a tough one. The theme lent itself to some incredible costumes I have to say though one of the guys from The Cuban Brothers, who played last year, wins it for me.

The Cuban Brothers

And there were these girls that killed it too.

The girls

Anything nefarious happen last year?

We can’t say for sure who’s been being frivolous at the SSB. We all saw how that took a turn for the worst a few years ago.

Who has been your most famous attendee?

I think I did spot Solly Akhtar (one of Exeter’s alumni with a claim to fame) last year. We’ve also got a free ticket lined up for J.K.Rowling. If you’re reading this and fancy re-visiting Exeter, hit us up Jo.

The famous Solly Akhtar

Did you attend last year, and if so what did you wear?

Unfortunately I wasn’t at the event last year, despite helping prepare for it as I was on annual leave. Unfortunately we don’t get to dress us, mainly because both customers and event partners wouldn’t take us seriously on the night if we did. Imagine security trying to manage all the customers in their underwear.

How did you decide this year’s theme?

A lot goes into the choice of theme for SSB. Everyone involved in The Enchanted Group sits down and we bounce ideas around until we’ve got one that works and we all agree on. We need to be able to use the theme to decorate the venue, as well as giving people enough inspiration to choose their costumes and give the event some direction. We try to keep it as non-offensive as possible, too.

Are you referencing the Tribal theme a few years ago?

I was thinking of that but also other themes could be deemed offensive considering the nature of the event. I actually only went in my first year. I didn’t go in second year and by third year it had been cancelled.