Freshers will spend over £1m in their first week

Think how many VKs you could buy

Thirsty freshers will spend over a staggering £1,112,500 in their first week at uni.  

With more fresh meat arriving in Exeter over the next couple of weeks than ever before, the average fresher is set to spend over £200 – before they’ve even got their student loan.

The huge total spend comes as a result of Exeter’s high living costs.

Cut outs can be expensive

This conservative estimation for a typical Exeter fresher is based on:

Tickets/ freshers package £20
Predrinks £15
Five doubles £27.50
Cabs £10
Takeaway £10
Weekly food shop £30
Hangover food £15
Society sign ups £10-80
Fancy dress £15

And these averages don’t take into consideration such extravagances as the cost of Moet from Mosaic or VIP tables at Unit 1.

It’s no surprise, Fresher’s week events can be some of the most expensive ones in the year with wristbands and sell out club nights luring in the newcomers.

Plus the cost of society sign ups, particularly sports one, will take their toll on your trusty bank balance.

English finalist Henry was less than surprised, he said: “First years shouldn’t be put off by these figures, you only do Freshers once so you may as well go all out.

“It may seem a lot at first, but once you’ve bought yourself provisions, food, alcohol, memberships, more alcohol etc it’s surprising how quickly the bill can run up.”

Drinks

Prospective first year Daisy-Li wasn’t too worried either, she said: “I’m really looking forward to my first week in Exeter, I haven’t really thought about money.

“Hopefully I’ll be having too much of a good time to care about my bank balance – after all ignorance is bliss!”

Shenanigans

But thrifty second year Economist Charlotte said: “I didn’t spend anywhere near that last year.

“As long as you’re careful you can definitely do it on a budget.

“Don’t feel pressured into buying rounds for your new flatmates to establish friendships, that could blow £30 in five minutes.”