Arena: Exeter party institution which redefined debauchery

Goodbye my lover, goodbye my friend

To our dismay, Arena sadly closed its doors during August in anticipation of a shinier, fresher and lesser incarnation opening this Sunday.  As Unit 1 rears it’s head, this is a eulogy for the club which touched the hearts of thousands over the past 15 years.

Vibes

Arena’s neon-clad signage, a glittering beacon of joy, cast a lurid light over revellers making drunk life-affirmations to the fresher from Old Lafrowda they met that night. These conversations may have only felt like they lasted a lifetime, but their impact will endure.

The only thing busier than the vibesy shirts worn by the edgy folk was the carpet. Jaeger-soaked and vomit covered, you could almost hear it squelch with the joyous sweat and tears of Arenites, past and present, a sensation etched in my heart forever.

The stairs that made you dabble with death every time you tried scaling them to get to the toilets will be fondly remembered by those who found themselves in a pile at the bottom, after tumbling less than gracefully from the top at the slip of a foot, VK still in hand.

Will we ever get one of these again?

No one will forget those perfectly placed raised platforms, post white booths, which made perfect lookouts when you’d lost the squad amongst the carnage of Cheesey Tuesdays. You could locate your bezzie mate getting off with a jazzy looking guy and document it with a snapchat within 60 seconds – memories that will live on even with Arena gone.

Scenes

Arena, a friendly and warm-hearted place, was open to everyone. Those shunned by the puffa jacket wearing, Moet drinking, party animals of Mosaic were welcomed to Arena with loving arms. Those not sporty enough to enter the hallowed walls of TP could run to Arena with the comforting knowledge that they wouldn’t be confronted by sport team socials. EURFC, we’re looking at you. Arena was a reliable friend and one which will never be forgotten.

The Arena, forever and always in our hearts.