Plucky pensioner sues Exeter for exposing him to asbestos

His lawyer said the level of exposure was ‘shocking’

Retired Albert Carder, formerly an electrician who worked at Exeter in the 1980s, is in court battling uni bigwigs for compensation.

The 85-year-old from Exeter, says he was “routinely exposed”  to asbestos while working in the uni’s boiler rooms between 1980 and 1994.

His barrister, Harry Steinberg, described Mr. Carder’s exposure while working there as “quite shocking”.

Mr. Steinberg told the London High Court that his client has been diagnosed as suffering from asbestosis and must live with the risk that his condition will deteriorate.

Albert worked in the Uni’s boiler rooms in the early 80s and 90s

Mr. Carder is afflicted by chronic respiratory problems, must use oxygen to stay comfortable, and is all but housebound.

His lawyer also explained that due to much of the electrician’s exposure to occurring earlier in his working life, in businesses that were uninsured, the only claim he could pursue was against Exeter uni.

The uni admits that it breached its duty as an employer by exposing him to asbestos in the workplace.

The uni is arguing against Mr. Carder’s claim for compensation

But their lawyers are arguing the relatively small dosage he received on university premises has made “no discernible difference to his condition”.

Mr Carder began developing early symptoms of his lung disease just four years after he stopped working at Exeter.

He first noticed the symptoms 17 years ago, and by 2013 could barely walk 100 metres without severe breathlessness.

His symptoms became more acute after 2007, said Mr Steinberg, who added: “This has been a devastating illness.

“The effect on him has been broadly equivalent to a malignant disease.”

The hearing continues.