How to be featured on Fashion in the Forum

Walk slowly and wear something attention-seeking

For most people at Exeter, being featured on Fashion in the Forum is the equivalent to being spotted by Grazia magazine’s street style at London Fashion Week. There is no greater honour than having your picture featured in the weekly Tab article, it basically just confirms what you’ve already known: you’re a fashion icon.

But how exactly do you get featured? We’re sure it’s a question that a lot of you are asking, so we thought we would share our very own tips for getting spotted by our elusive photographers – you won’t know how to spot them so it’s all on you to stand out.

Get. Their. Attention

First things first, let’s talk about the clothes. You want to be sure to catch the eye of whoever’s on photo duty for the day, so make sure you wear something colourful, daring, and perhaps even a little bit inappropriate for lectures.

How could they possibly refuse taking a photo of a man in burgundy suede flares and a faux fur coat? They couldn’t, it’s just too fashion-forward.

Do you really think she didn’t plan this?

Be there at the right time

The question on most people’s lips is when exactly do they take these damn photos? Well, we can let you in on a little secret…it changes every week.

As different people take the photos on different weeks, it’s really just down to when they’re on campus and ready to go. Your best bet is to be in the Forum between 11-3, we’ve been informed that this is their favourite time to go style hunting.

Oh you’re taking photos for FITF? I’m so unprepared…

Walk as slow as possible

You want to give them a maximum amount of time to spot your fabulous outfit, stop you and take your photo, so walk through the Forum as slow as you can. We suggest you pretend you’re in a slow mo advert for Topshop’s new S/S15 collection, and gracefully glide around the Forum.

Keep an eye out for our photographers and make sure you walk past them multiple times, just in case they missed you the first time.

The scarf? I had it custom made in Brazil

Have your answers prepared

No, we do not want to read about somebody whose whole outfit is from Topshop and has no clue who Karl Lagerfeld is. Get a little bit more creative with your answers, and make sure your outfit is made up of items from lots of different shops, bonus points if it’s vintage or “from your travelling in India”. Read up on designers, so you can sound vaguely knowledgeable when they ask who your favourite is.

If you’re really keen to be featured, you could just take up residency in the Forum and spend your days strolling along it’s many floors in the hopes you’ll be spotted, we’re sure that will work too.